Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed Ward cooling fans

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:05 PM
SGMongoose
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just installed Ward cooling fans

Just installed ward cooling fans and just thought i'd share my thoughts.

I should start off by saying i did not care whether the Wards fans were the most effective or the least effective of all the cooling fans out there. I felt my FLHXS was putting out significantly more heat then my old Deluxe. To the point it was getting uncomfortable to ride at times. On days where i was hitting traffic o the way to work, i was seeing 320 degree temps via my FP3 once i've shut down in the work parking garage. I wanted to try some fans, and the Wards fans were really the only ones that didn't completely ruin the look of the bike.

Fans and install:
I opted for the Chrome finished fans. Wards website seems to prepare you for a so-so chrome finish. I'm not sure why tho because the fans are probably some of the nicest chrome on my bike. The finish and the whole fan assembly in general look and feel very high quality. The only thing that i wasn't a huge fan of was the connectors. For the money spent i would have preferred a more finished looking connector then the male/female isolated spade connectors that come with them. I will probably look to swap them out for something else. Install couldn't be simpler, it's well documented on wards website so i'm not going to go into detail... But i ran into no issues or surprises following Wards directions.

The Results:
I took the bike for a short spin once i had finished the install. The fans did kick on with the thermal switch at some point in the ride, no idea at what time or temp, and stayed on the remainder of my ride. When i returned home i took out my phone and checked the temps, FP3 read 234 degrees.. ambient temp was 81 degrees. I left the bike idling and went inside to grab my infrared thermometer. When i got back to the bike, the FP3 was reading 231 degrees. Temp from the thermometer read 221 at the front spark plug, 235 degrees at the rear plug, 240 degrees around the harley temp sensor. Temp around the rear exhaust port was 315 degrees, and around the rear pushrod tubes was 256.
When i shut the bike off the fans kept running for 9 minutes until the fp3 read 149 degrees and the thermometer read 141 degrees.

My Thoughts:
From a looks perspective, i think they look okay, but i preferred my chrome headbolt bridge covers. i don't mind them, but i don't love them. But they look good enough that will leave them on. I don't really like how long they stay on after i shut the bike off. To be fair, when i ride my buddies FLHXSE, after a long ride the fans stay on also after i shut of the bike, but never more then a minute or 2. Based on my fp3 and temp readings, the bike defiantly runs cooler, but that was expected. What i didn't expect was that i still felt a good amount of heat. To be fair Wards advertises an engine cooling fan and not a rider cooling fan. the heat on the left side was greatly reduced and very comfortable. The heat on the exhaust side did not to seem to be any less. When stopped i did not feel any hot blowing air from the fan, as some have been concerned about.

Of course i will not really see the benefits/difference until i hit some traffic on my way to work.. but i don't plan on purposely sitting in traffic so who knows when i will be able to really test the fans.. Traffic has been light now that schools out.

overall i'm happy that they don't ruin the look of the engine.. And i like that they keep the temp readings down, even tho i don't believe thats needed in most cases. I think they will make a difference in stop and go traffic, so time will tell. I believe on my test ride i would have ran around the same temp regardless of the fans, hence why the exhausts side felt equally as hot. The fact that i was able to idle the bike and take temp readings without any meaningful increase in temps should mean i will see improvements in traffic.

The following 3 users liked this post by SGMongoose:
Groucho1 (07-21-2016), JHP (07-23-2016), rockymtman (07-19-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 07:21 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

100% know your temps would have been hotter on your test ride without the fans on. At 75mph cut the fans off and watch your temps go up some. One of the best add ons you can get for your scoot and extremely pleased to have mine. I never ever ever worry about stop and go traffic any longer.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:40 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 261 Likes on 223 Posts

Nice right up, I like that the fans stay on till the bike gets good and cool. Most the time I wait till they shut off to restart even at gas up. I have one gaurd on the right side (tank& seat) per dk custom keep motor cool tips, this brings air around the rear cylinder. Results is the left sidee is warmer but not as bad before all my cooling mods. Two others is ultra cooler & wood beads on seat.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:50 PM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

I put an OilBud oil cooler on my FLTRX and it works great. I also take my lowers off in July and August.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:07 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

I rode for about 3 hours this weekend with the ambient temps @ 94 degrees. The ride consisted of back roads, lots of shifting, stop and go city riding and lots of lights and stop signs. Needless to say, the engine was hot. Fans ran for over 20 minutes but bike was also parked in a trailer so I am sure it took longer to cool down that way.
I appreciate your write up but don't understand the operation issues.... The fans are doing what they are supposed to do.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:29 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

I'm curious to know more about your two installation issues.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:47 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

I would buy a set of wards fans in a heartbeat if he would make a bracket that worked with the Rivco twin horns. I'm not interested in trying to fabricate something myself nor in relocating the horns.
I like the look of his fans better than others and believe he makes a quality product. But his unwillingness to make different mounts for different circumstances is off putting. I understand he cannot make a bracket for every possible scenario but Rivco horns on a stock bike are a popular alternative, not a highly specialized application.
Judging by how often I see this question come up I'm sure I'm not the only one who would buy a set of fans if he made the bracket.

The following users liked this post:
Groucho1 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 10:12 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,410 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Originally Posted by ORradtech
I would buy a set of wards fans in a heartbeat if he would make a bracket that worked with the Rivco twin horns. I'm not interested in trying to fabricate something myself nor in relocating the horns.
I like the look of his fans better than others and believe he makes a quality product. But his unwillingness to make different mounts for different circumstances is off putting. I understand he cannot make a bracket for every possible scenario but Rivco horns on a stock bike are a popular alternative, not a highly specialized application.
Judging by how often I see this question come up I'm sure I'm not the only one who would buy a set of fans if he made the bracket.
It's not that he's unwilling. He tried and didn't like the results....

Jason attempted to make a different mount for an air horn. He actually sold it for awhile, but discontinued it. He decided that his fans work best when coupled with the OEM fan, not with the added weight of aftermarket horns....

He made a business decision to stay with an OEM mount rather than try to find build mounts for the various aftermarket horn choices...

As busy as he is, just building his fans, I can totally understand his decision...

Old 07-19-2016, 11:00 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

If he's busy enough to ignore a market segment that would like to buy his product then God bless him.

However, as one of that market, his saying he's too busy to make a product that fits my bike, well, it kinda feels like he's saying "screw you".
I understand business decisions, been there, done that and I've reconciled myself to not being able to put his fans on my bike. Seems like a lose/lose to me...

Old 07-19-2016, 11:03 AM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 261 Likes on 223 Posts

Ur choice u want horns to look cool or bike to be cool

Quick Reply: Just installed Ward cooling fans