Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Wire Disconnected?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 11:50 PM
JeepDeep
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Shock Tube Disconnected?

Hi all,

So i am getting ready for a 2.5 week long road trip and I found out today that the tube connecting the two shocks is broken? I own a 2014 road king that i bought 2 months ago. I was just doing regular check up to see if the air pressure in the shocks will be enough to handle the wife, i and luggage and i noticed that it was zero?

i tried pumping air in and it wouldn't go in? then i saw this loose tube hanging. It was chewed up a bit and was torn at the end...

then I checked the right side and nothing there either... the end of this small tube had some oil/grit in it.

I tried folding this tube that was hanging loose on the left so that no air would go through and pressure started increasing. is this supposed to be connected to the shock on the right side?

How do I go by handling this situation.

your help would be appreciated as I leave for the road trip in a week.

loose tube hangin on the left side

close up of the loose tube hnging

right side tube

Last edited by JeepDeep; 07-30-2016 at 02:38 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:27 AM
JCBGlide
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Its not a wire, its an air pressure tubing (hollow) made from hard plastic. It's generally study stuff & last years but doesn't like being crimped or abused. I'm sure this tubing can be bought from various places like you would for auto air shocks, but if you need it quickly, hit the dealership & order a new set of hoses. Without the tubing, the shock has Zero Air in them.

Just my opinion.....

Old 07-30-2016, 12:49 AM
JeepDeep
Advanced

yes... sorry i meant a tube. so the one hanging on the left is supposed to be connected to the right?

Old 07-30-2016, 02:51 AM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

The only reasonable repair is a set of Ohlins,but you don't have time for that this week.Princess Auto or any real parts store should have some plastic line if you want to tackle it yourself,your local indy shop or Harley dealer will also help you out if you like spending that bit extra..

Old 07-30-2016, 09:11 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 115 Posts

Get some from your local dealer. This stuff is commonly used in the automated machine industry and sells in bulk. I bet your dealer has a roll they use for repairs. It just pushes in the fitting and seals a lot like a quick disconnect on an air compressor.
Route it in a way to keep it from kinks and rubs and it will last a long time.

I think you have lost the oil in the shocks. The dealer can recharge that also.

Without that line connected you have zero air pressure. You are carrying a load, you need that repaired or you will bottom out on every bump and your bike will handle poorly.

Let your dealer repair it if pressed for time. It will probably cost an hours shop time and a few dollars for material and will be the best money you spend on this trip.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:15 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepDeep
yes... sorry i meant a tube. so the one hanging on the left is supposed to be connected to the right?
Not sure but I don't think it really matters which side feeds each shock. The pressure should be the same in both lines when connected.
Just route the tube in a safe place.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:56 AM
JeepDeep
Advanced

Thank u all for the replies. It's tough to access the spot where the tube connects on the left side. Seems like I may have to take the fender off? Also I live in a small town and the closest Harley is 3.5 hrs away. Otherwise I would have been there by now. So only way to tackle this is via an indie shop. Don't mind paying but want a piece of mind.

None by local auto people have it. And it's not just a regular air tuning. Should be able to hold pressure I would assume.

Also do u guys run it under the fender or over the fender and under the seat?

Last edited by JeepDeep; 07-30-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:22 PM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

On my 07 it's under the seat and over the fender. With the bag and chrome rail covers off its easier to access.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:04 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,410 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Don't take off the fender... it goes over the fender, under the seat..

Here is a pic of your system. It looks to me like line #12 pulled out of the fill fitting #7, and was hanging down, getting trashed by the belt and/or belt pulley.

If you can match the hose, just replace the line #12 portion. The fill fitting is basically a like a "T" fitting and connects the pressure lines of both shocks. That allows for both shocks to equalize the pressure between them, and maintain the same pressure... in your case, unfortunately it's zero..

It's an easy fix once you get the air line.... Just push towards the fitting on the red circle, and it will release the line. Make sure the new line is cut clean and even. Then just push the line into the fitting until it bottoms out... should be fixed!

From a dealer, the air hose is part # 54354-94A in a 25' length (black) MSRP @ $26.25. It says it's 5/32" OD (outside diameter) hose.

Good luck & enjoy your ride...

Last edited by hattitude; 07-30-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:17 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,410 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Out of curiosity, I just checked online and Grainger sells the 5/32" Polyurethane Pneumatic Tubing @ $22.00 for a roll of 100'.....

You should be able to find it somewhere close or at least order it online with overnight shipping if needed....

Good luck

Last edited by hattitude; 07-30-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Shock Wire Disconnected?