Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio cuts in and out even after Iron cross repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 06:59 PM
jamzholm
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Radio cuts in and out even after Iron cross repair

Sent my radio to Iron cross two months ago as the radio volume kept cutting in and out after the bike warmed up (20-30 minutes each day) They found a bad circuit board and sent it back after repairing it. two months now and the radio started doing the same thing. If you turn the power off and back on the radio instantly plays again, otherwise it comes back on after 2-3 miles. Iron cross could not find anything wrong with the radio when I sent it back for warranty repair?? But the radio continues to turn on and off once it warms up. This has me so frustrated, hopefully someone out there as experienced this issue. Took the bike four years to go bad, now only two months?? I do have a four year old Hogtunes amp but cant see how that would affect it?? I have checked everything else that Iron Cross asked me to check, but nothing????

Old 08-20-2016, 07:41 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

guessing the hogyunes amp gets hot and shuts down, if it has adjustable gain on the amp try turning it down. other possibilities are bad speaker switch. or a wiring connection thats getting hot.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:39 AM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

you probably have a loose wire or a bad ground somewhere

Old 08-21-2016, 09:40 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I would try unhooking the amp and going back to stock. If it still does it, then you know the HU is the culprit. If it doesn't, then you can pretty much assume the problem is in the amp. Double check the wiring of course but I would think if that was the problem, your issues would be more sporadic.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:09 AM
jamzholm
2nd Gear
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks guys, I will try these suggestions and advise!

Old 08-21-2016, 04:03 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,045 Likes on 6,219 Posts

Do you "Self-Diagnostics" the HU? Go to Forum, Harley Davidson Tech and Mechanical, Audio Systems. Look for the post" Self-Diagnostics For Harmon Kardon Radio. My problem was no sound with all the function working on the HU. I bypass the amplifier and the HU work fine. I borrow the same amplifier from a buddy. I still got no sound, but all the functions were working. My buddy did the Self-Diagnostics on the HU and an error can up as "Infotainment Bus Off Error". Sent the HU to Iron Cross Audio and they corrected the error.

Last edited by 470004; 08-22-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:46 PM
Michael P. Rizzo
Novice

I am getting frustrated with the 2016 BOOM! Infotainment system. Only recently (last two days) the system will alternate without any input from me from the Radio to the music on my IPhone 6. I decided to do the latest update (think it was 1.2xxx) since I didn't figure it wouldn't hurt. Unfortunately it made no difference. Bathe system still does it. Decided to head to the Apple Store and see about removing the music on my phone. I figured if it had no music to tap into, it would have no choice but to play its only source...the radio. Well, that worked like crap, now the thing repeatedly goes from radio to no media found. I hit "ok" and have reselect the radio station I was originally listening to. If if did it once, I could deal with it but it did it about 10 times in about a 5 mile ride. Getting a smidge old. Thoughts? Original speakers and system. No aftermarket stereo stuff. Remember, it was doing this both before and after the most recent update.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:00 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

it's a 2016 take it to the dealer, and let them figure it out?

Old 08-25-2016, 06:46 AM
Michael P. Rizzo
Novice

Morning Bill03E, that's always an option but invariably, their response will be to change out the radio and swaptronics isn't the direction I want to go. My plan is to call Harmon Kardon this morning and see if they have any insight. If not, I will try and call HD directly. Neither may bear any fruit but a phone call is easy. Nothing to lose. My ideal option would be to find someone in the forum that has dealt with this and has the fix. Might be a stretch, but again, its easy.
When all else fails, I will take it to Harley...but you know all they're going to do is change out the unit. Which at least at this point, I don't know if the stereo or the phone is the problem.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:31 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Your Iron Cross repair might not have been the best choice. We had the wife's done a year ago, and now have a new problem. Her's has a bunch of noise when the AUX is used for GPS. We thought it might be the cradle for the GPS, but the dealer used a different cradle and the problem was still there. Put wife's cradle on different radio and the problem went away. Called Iron Cross and they insisted that it couldn't be the radio, but the cradle or wiring to the cradle.

I just had the dealer get a new radio from Harmon overnighted and put in. Cost more, but we are leaving for a month long trip on the 30th and don't have time to mess with it.

Hope you get yours figured out.

Bill

Quick Reply: Radio cuts in and out even after Iron cross repair