Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TMax or PC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 03:05 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

How about another option, Cobra Fi2000 with Auto Tune or CVT? Have heard a lot of good things, no maps, no dyno, it self adjusts at the speed of light, many are pleased, stage 1, cams automatically adjusts.

I'm just saying, as an alternative tuner this one looks good IMHO.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:00 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

If the tmax craps out while your on a road trip your stranded, and then you either have to 1)get a new one 2)get a new harley ecm or 3)have someone mail your stock ecm.

If your PV craps out you can still go to any Harley shop and have them tune your stock ECM, and chances are if you unplug the PV your bike will still run enough to get you to a dealer.

I had a hard time finding a good shop that knew how to dyno tune with my PV, and with all the money invested in my engine I wasn't going to take it to a shop I wasn't sure of.

So I added a Fuel moto map and installed the Target tune to my PV, now I have full auto tune and my stock ecm just in case.

I'd hate to be stuck somewhere with a crapped out tmax, do a google search on tmax issues.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,317 Likes on 3,664 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
If the tmax craps out while your on a road trip your stranded, and then you either have to 1)get a new one 2)get a new harley ecm or 3)have someone mail your stock ecm.

If your PV craps out you can still go to any Harley shop and have them tune your stock ECM, and chances are if you unplug the PV your bike will still run enough to get you to a dealer.

I had a hard time finding a good shop that knew how to dyno tune with my PV, and with all the money invested in my engine I wasn't going to take it to a shop I wasn't sure of.

So I added a Fuel moto map and installed the Target tune to my PV, now I have full auto tune and my stock ecm just in case.

I'd hate to be stuck somewhere with a crapped out tmax, do a google search on tmax issues.
If you have a close to stock build like a stage 1 you might be OK.. How many dealers actually carry ecms for all models of HDs. You can order a replacement TMAX from about anywhere (in the US) and program it with any PC with no special equipment.

I suspect that you are discussing a Power Commander and not power vision.. On PV/TTS you might have to buy a new license. You'll have to have the Vin programmed into the unit for security system. You have a motor that more than stage 1 you want to load the old map.

Tmax you can do everything yourself with a laptop / pc.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:58 PM
dfowler1
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thundermax and have it dyno tuned and you will never have to touch it again!!!

Old 01-10-2017, 08:34 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

TMax is good if you are a hands on, computer savy kind of guy. Lots of fun tuning and adjusting your own bike.

PV is good if you want your wrench to dyno it (or just download a tune like FM). Then you put your PV in a drawer and forget about it.

All depends what you are looking for....

Old 01-10-2017, 08:56 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
TMax is good if you are a hands on, computer savy kind of guy. Lots of fun tuning and adjusting your own bike.

PV is good if you want your wrench to dyno it (or just download a tune like FM). Then you put your PV in a drawer and forget about it.

All depends what you are looking for....
👍 what he said.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:06 AM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had differing advice from shops near me. The only thing they really agree on is, wait, they dont agree on anything. Called one shop and told him what I wanted and he said he would call me back with prices. About an hour later he did call, but he quoted me prices for what HE wanted to put on, including gear drive.... He said he would check the run out to make sure the crank was within specs, he said he was sure it wiould be fine... WTH? You call a shop, tell em what you want, they tell you what stuff they want to put on. Didnt I just tell them what I wanted? Suggestions ok, but dont even quote me the direction I want to go? Ok, rant over

Last edited by Hazzardousmat; 01-15-2017 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-15-2017, 09:59 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

you could be more specific ( with us)...it could be that you you asked the shop for an grouping of "parts" which won;t work together- or were unclear, or they were trying to give you their suggestion for known repeatable results.

If one of my guitar-player clients comes to me ( based on internet knowledge) and determines he needs to have a 40 year old Brimar 12ax7 tube and wants a sound like a Marshall JCM800...all I can tell him is that in my experience those 2 things run counter to each other- happy to sell you a tube for $120, but a $12 tube 12ax7C from China will do the job better. So you can get the JCM800 sound ( but then do you want Iron Maiden or Ratt. who used differing variations of the same amp?)
And at what point do I get paid for 60 minutes of educating the client?

In many many cases working with a tech, determine the desired result and ask how to get there.

How many times have we seen posts here from owners who sent the shop off in the wrong direction by asking for certain services rather than a result.

some times dropping the keys and saying "fix it" is actually the best course.

rant over?

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-15-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:32 AM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain

The rant was mainly over the "need" for S&S gear drive 510g cams when even S&S says otherwise for 103Ci. S&S recomends the 585 easy start chain drive cams.
Here is what I had been recomended by some of the "preformance" shops. (Dont have any close by, Chicago or Evansville)
Here is the plan that I currently have with Sheffer Preformance. http://usplaces.com/others/evansvill...performance-hd (4 hours away)
Fullsac Preformance Mufflers
De-cat head pipes (save some money Vs New head Pipes)
Boyesen Power X intake
Power Vision license
Dyno Tune
Cyclerama 570 cams chain drive
S&S quickie push rods and tappets
S&S cam bearings
Heavy clutch spring (new gaskets)
New plugs
Oil Change
Labor
Out the door for 3000.00
The other shops that are closest to me, keep telling me to go with the 510g, cobra fi 2000 (1500.00 to 2000.00) All the reading I have done, it seems to me that the cobra is a waste of money. I have some suggestions by other shops to go with gear drive and thunder max with auto-tune. Make sense?

Last edited by Hazzardousmat; 01-15-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:08 PM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain

Ok so back to the topic. Why should I go with the TMax w/auto over a PV and a dyno tune? Some say that the TMax will do what the dyno does all the time. The Dyno man says the TMax replaces the ECM and will not make all the needed adjustments and the PV sets the base for the new cams, intake, exhause ect and keeps the stock ECM, which will make the adjustments with elevation and other changes. I'm relying on those here and in the other forums.
Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. Does anyone know anything about Sheffer Preformance in Evansville, In? Seen some of his dyno numbers on another forum, looks impressive. But got to ask y'all for assistance.

Last edited by Hazzardousmat; 01-18-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: TMax or PC?