Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake lever extremely hard

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:55 AM
Bookie
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Front Brake lever extremely hard

I live in Dallas, not sure if it is because of the cold weather we have been having, however.. The temp is supposed to be nice today so I rode to work.
However I noticed the my front brake lever was extremely hard to pull.. Any ideas?

Old 01-10-2017, 11:15 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I know there has been talk here about the brakes failing unsafe when the ABS system quits. I think the symptom is a hard lever or pedal when it fails. I don't know if you have ABS or not but if you do that could be the problem.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:27 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

how cold- ice crystals in the brake fluid?

for a warm weather vehicle- sudden cold temps can show us that we have water in the fluid which turns to ice and can cause damage to seals and even the jam the caliper.

if you have a brake concern- don;t ride.

the price is too high

mike

Old 01-10-2017, 03:12 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

Yours is THE standard symptom for ABS control module failure. There is a chance it is something else but not likely. Start saving up, only $700 to about $1000 to get your front brake back. If it is the ABS, be absolutely sure to report it to NHTSA, there is a lot of this going around and Harley needs to have a fire built under it for a fix.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Bookie
I live in Dallas, not sure if it is because of the cold weather we have been having, however.. The temp is supposed to be nice today so I rode to work.
However I noticed the my front brake lever was extremely hard to pull.. Any ideas?
As a word of advice, when you post issues about your bike, include the year and model or put it in your sig like I did.

Responses have mentioned ABS and you may not even have ABS.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:43 AM
angelrod
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

years and model will help.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:46 AM
Bookie
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys are correct.. My BAD!

I have a 2010 Ultra Classic Limited.

As far as the front brake control, UPDATE.. I looked through the level bubble on the master cylinder and it showed as not being totally full. I purchased some new fluid "DOT4" and filled it to the top. For now that seems to have done the trick. I know that I am due for a at least a front brake job where I will totally replace the brake fluid with some new stuff; hopefully the ABS keeps working correctly.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:12 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

Fully flushing the fluid requires that the ABS pump be cycled and that requires the Harley maintenance computer. A standard "shade tree" flush leaves the old and possibly contaminated fluid in the ABS unit. Currently Harley is blaming failure to perform the recommended flush every 2 years as contributing to/causing the ABS failure.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Mr-Mike
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 148 Posts

whatever blocked the orifice is gone for the moment. Needs a good cleaning IMO.

The following users liked this post:
lespaul6 (11-24-2021)
Old 01-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,752 Likes on 6,896 Posts

Originally Posted by Bookie
You guys are correct.. My BAD!

I have a 2010 Ultra Classic Limited.

As far as the front brake control, UPDATE.. I looked through the level bubble on the master cylinder and it showed as not being totally full. I purchased some new fluid "DOT4" and filled it to the top. For now that seems to have done the trick. I know that I am due for a at least a front brake job where I will totally replace the brake fluid with some new stuff; hopefully the ABS keeps working correctly.
Good deal. I had a 2010 with 56k miles and ABS with no issues. But from all I have read I will keep the service up to date moving forward on brake systems.

Ride safe.

Quick Reply: Front Brake lever extremely hard