Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptor Needed Micro Start to Battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 01:32 PM
pt4u2nv
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Adaptor Needed Micro Start to Battery tender

In need of an adaptor that will convert the Micro Start XP-1 connection on my bike to the SAE connector for a Battery Tender. They make that adaptor for the older XP-1 but not the newer version.

I really do not want both cables as a separate connection on my battery posts. The post already have 2 other connections attached to them and the threaded bolt on the terminals is running out of thread and no room to use longer bolt.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:06 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

battery tender pigtails usually have fuses inline- too much power applied and they go poof

so if you were thinking about starting your bike through 2 small wires...maybe that is why they stopped supplying the cables.

jumping:

in general, a duff battery can place a heavy load on your bikes charging system.

jumping a dead bike will require the charging system to supply power to the bike, lights and duff battery- perhaps exceeding the capabilities and killing your stator or voltage regulator...or both.

a $100 battery problem becomes a $600 charging system problem.

if you are just charging your xp to give laptop or phone power reserve, then that's a different thing and even connected through the fused pigtail should be ok

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-18-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:35 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I would not try jumping your bike with the XP-1 using your battery tender pigtail. The wire gauge of the tender pigtail is not large enough. Antigravity must make a battery pigtail to use with your XP-1. I have one for my XP-10.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:24 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 646 Likes on 337 Posts

Battery tender inline fuse is 7.5 amps. Not enough for much of anything.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:22 AM
pt4u2nv
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mkguitar
battery tender pigtails usually have fuses inline- too much power applied and they go poof

so if you were thinking about starting your bike through 2 small wires...maybe that is why they stopped supplying the cables.

jumping:

in general, a duff battery can place a heavy load on your bikes charging system.

jumping a dead bike will require the charging system to supply power to the bike, lights and duff battery- perhaps exceeding the capabilities and killing your stator or voltage regulator...or both.

a $100 battery problem becomes a $600 charging system problem.

if you are just charging your xp to give laptop or phone power reserve, then that's a different thing and even connected through the fused pigtail should be ok

mike
I do have the heavier cable supplied by Antigravity to replace the small wire of the battery tender. That cable is made heavy enough to jump start the bike.my problem is I do not want to have all these wires on my battery for battery tender and Micro Start. They do make an adaptor as I stated in my original post but just not for the newer XP-1, evidently different plug going into the Micro Start.

Just thought someone else ran into this and found where I could buy the newer adaptor. Antigravity ( Micro Start ) does not have one.

The reason for the adaptor is so I can plug the battery tender into the Micro Start cable .

By the way the cable for the Micro Start is also fused to prevent overload

Last edited by pt4u2nv; 01-19-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:24 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

pt4u2nv - Go to the Antigravity site, and go to accessories, they sale a jumper cable for your XP1.
It hooks up to your Battery and has a built on adapter that allows the XP1 to plug into it for jump
starting your Bike. "DO NOT use the battery tender cable to jump start the Bike" it will burn the wires.

Antigravity has an accessory that will let you use a battery tender to charge the battery of your
Bike, using the accessory jump start cable. It should cost about $20.oo plus shipping & taxes.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:14 PM
pt4u2nv
Road Captain

Originally Posted by OldPhat
pt4u2nv - Go to the Antigravity site, and go to accessories, they sale a jumper cable for your XP1.
It hooks up to your Battery and has a built on adapter that allows the XP1 to plug into it for jump
starting your Bike. "DO NOT use the battery tender cable to jump start the Bike" it will burn the wires.

Antigravity has an accessory that will let you use a battery tender to charge the battery of your
Bike, using the accessory jump start cable. It should cost about $20.oo plus shipping & taxes.
That accessory connector to convert to SAE is not available for the newer XP-1 only the older version. Already looked into that. I did buy the cable to allow to jump start it just doesn't allow me to convert to the SAE connector for the battery tender

Old 01-19-2017, 01:21 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

seems to be an impasse.

if your hold up is that you don't want to add wires at the battery-

you can take your wires and attach the + to the starter terminal ( where the battery cable connects) and attach the - to one of the starter mounting lugs.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-19-2017 at 01:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pt4u2nv (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 01:46 PM
pt4u2nv
Road Captain

might have to go that route if I cannot find an adaptor. Would be so much easier if someone has the adaptor even if it isn't Antigravity. I will be checking with a local battery establishment or Electronics Supply house.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I made a 10ga pigtail with standard SAE connector for attaching to the battery, can plug most tenders and accessories into it, and made an adapter for my jump battery to plug into the SAE connector. Mine uses EC5 connectors, common on Li jumper batteries, but don't know what that stand alone Anti Gravity uses. SAE and EC5 connectors are plentiful on Amazon.com

My home made adapter parts - I got 12" cables with SAE connectors on both ends, just cut one off, couldn't find just the plug, and this way they're heat sealed, much neater. I put the braided sleeving over the wires, held at the ends by the internal adhesive heat shrink. I haven't needed that roll of 10awg wire yet. The red heat shrink is for identifying the positive terminal for the battery. A little cheaper for one bike, way cheaper if you have several like I do.

Quick Reply: Adaptor Needed Micro Start to Battery tender