Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bright Ass Lights BAL-1--Seizures imminent?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 01:06 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Bright *** Lights BAL-1--Seizures imminent?

I just installed this OEM replacement item. It is astoundingly effective. So effective, that I now wonder what the effect might be if an epileptic drives up behind me at a stop. My BAL-1 might actually trigger a seizure that results in my being rear-ended when otherwise I would not have been. HA! One in a million chance I suspect, and entertaining to consider--but for the fact that I do not doubt in the least that said epileptic could easily take me to court for inciting his/her seizure. Now that is not so entertaining.

She might say, "Officer, everything was going along just fine until I came up behind that motorcycle I hit that had an intense flashing tail light. I am an epileptic." Officer says, "Okay ma'am, I am going to see now about that flashing tail light."

Oops! Given the all-encompassing laws today, I am almost certain that I will have committed some DOT violation. And, I am willing to violate the DOT law a little to try to protect myself from being rear-ended by an inattentive driver. I would readily accept a traffic citation. The follow-on to this scenario is much less acceptable.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:10 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a BAL-1 on order. Best price I have found was through Broad Tracker Harley. No sales tax and only $5 for shipping.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:17 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

That's why I have my light programmed for three short flashes then steady on. Most drivers tend to stay far enough behind me after their introduction to the three flashes.

Do epileptic drivers have a seizure when an ambulance or fire truck approach them? Never heard of it causing a seizures in those instances.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:17 PM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 39,245 Likes on 10,250 Posts

It shouldn't be any worse than the strobed lights on an emergency vehicle.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:10 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes--to the doubters and the uninformed. The condition is called: Photosensitive epilepsy. It can happen with emergency vehicles, indoor fire alarms, Halloween lights, or whatever other kinds of strobe/flashing lights you can think of.

If there might actually be any legal experts on this forum, I would be interested to hear an informal quasi-legal opinion. I might even be interested in a quasi-idiotic opinion. There might even be an epileptic or two on this forum. I know of no regulation preventing epileptics from obtaining driving privileges--although most states require some sort of disclosure to the DMV and/or a doctor's report.

Thanks.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:41 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,410 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Originally Posted by albngore
Yes--to the doubters and the uninformed. The condition is called: Photosensitive epilepsy. It can happen with emergency vehicles, indoor fire alarms, Halloween lights, or whatever other kinds of strobe/flashing lights you can think of.

If there might actually be any legal experts on this forum, I would be interested to hear an informal quasi-legal opinion. I might even be interested in a quasi-idiotic opinion. There might even be an epileptic or two on this forum. I know of no regulation preventing epileptics from obtaining driving privileges--although most states require some sort of disclosure to the DMV and/or a doctor's report.

Thanks.
Many years ago, I dated a woman who developed seizures.... it may have changed, but circa 1989...

In CA doctors were required to report seizures to the DMV.

You then lose your driving privileges until you go a certain amount of time without a seizure, backed up by a Doctors note....

Not too many Drs are going to accept the liability of fudging on that one...

Old 03-29-2017, 06:34 PM
RoadKingCop
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Don't worry.

No police officer will charge you with anything. People forget that we are human and sometimes **** just happens. Not everything is a chargeable offense. That epileptic probably shouldn't be driving because my BLUE LIGHTS would give them another seizure.

In fact, I'm thinking I would submit paperwork to have the court REVIEW whether they should even have a license if brake-lights are causing them to have seizures.
Ben

Last edited by RoadKingCop; 03-29-2017 at 06:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
luisan (03-31-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 06:40 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,615 Likes on 5,177 Posts

Unlikely the few flashes from the brake light would trigger a seizure.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:41 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

I'm sure BAL has looked into this prior to marketing, doubt you'd get a ticket for trying to be safe.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:44 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

The BAL-1 is great. It was the first thing I've installed on the past 3 HD bikes we've bought. I have both our bikes set to 3 flashes, 3 flashes, steady on. I followed my wife the other day in the dark, and I will confirm first hand they are indeed bright *** lights.

Quick Reply: Bright Ass Lights BAL-1--Seizures imminent?