Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEADLIGHT FUSE KEEPS BLOWING ON MY 07 RK CLASSIC

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 10:19 AM
heavy K
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEADLIGHT FUSE KEEPS BLOWING ON MY 07 RK CLASSIC

i have done the two headlight modifications listed in these forums.

1) installed jumper wire for simultanious operation of headlight highbeam and auxilliary lights.

2) switched headlamp and auxilliary lamps to silverstars...upgraded auxilliaries to 37.5 watts from the stock 27.5 watts.

these mods were done almost 8 weeks ago (2500 miles). i have not had any problem whatsoever and have been extremely pleased with the upgrades. now all of a sudden i'm blowing my fuse on the headlamp (15 amp). the jumper was put in with marine grade waterproof heat shrink crimps and wrapped with rubberized tape (been doing marine and motorcycle electrical for years). still i went back and checked my work,,,,the problem is not in any of the connections i made. i looked for chaffing or a bite in the harness and found nothing,,,,harness is fairly freeflowing with no pinchpoints or tight spots visible. has anyone herad of any known problems in this area ? any suggestions would be appreciated, a couple of people have told me people switch these fuses to 20 amp. by my calculations it shouldnt need a bigger fuse and as ive said its been working great for a long time now.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:54 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HEADLIGHT FUSE KEEPS BLOWING ON MY 07 RK CLASSIC

When ah run 'cross these kinda gremlins, ah start from scratch. Ah'd pull the drivin' light bulbs an' see if it continues to blow. If not, then it SHOULD indicate that the wirin' harness is okay. Ah'd then ad back one bulb at a time an' see if the fuse blows. If it blows, then ah'd swap bulbs an' see what happens. You might have a bulb shortin' internally....

Old 06-24-2007, 10:05 PM
wico1
Tourer

You definately have a short. You need to start from scratch. You have an exposed wire somewhere.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:44 PM
heavy K
Cruiser

well as suggested i started from scratch, i believe ive found the problem. there was no exposed wire anywhere. but i remebered when i switched the auxilliary lights from stock (27.5 watts) to silverstar (37.5 watts) the new lamps sockets do not exit the rear of the lamp at a 90 degree angle like the stock ones do,,the silverstars come out straight. this makes for a real tight fit between the plug and the housing. when i inspected these wires they were smooshed big time,,im talking kinked where the end of the plastic plug sandwiched them between the housing. i took a pair of dikes and snipped a good sized v in the back of the plastic plug. this allowed the wires to move down at 90 degrees without being pinched between the plastic end of the plug and the metal housing. just took a three hour ride and the problem has been fixed. im a little surprised i'm the only one who has seen this problem because it seems to be a popular modification,,,but for anyone whos done this mod i recomend a little plug trim before ya have a problem.