Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loose saddlebag, what did I do wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 09:19 AM
msbhvn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loose saddlebag, what did I do wrong?

I installed the siren on the security system this weekend. Put it all back together and made sure everything was secure. We went for a ride and went in to eat started to lock the saddlebag and it was just laying in the guards. Needless to say this ruined the trip. I put the pins in just like I did before and it was secure when I got home. I don't understand what went wrong but can't have that happen again. What do I need to watch for when pinning the bags? Even the seatstrap has a bolt in it I don't know why the bags need to be quick disconnect.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:32 AM
FLHTPjeff
Cruiser
Default RE: loose saddlebag, what did I do wrong?

Personally, I'm glad that the bags have pins to remove rather than bolts, it makes removing the bags for cleaning much easier. But I'd imagine that you could easily remove the pin and locking "spring" thing and put some bolts and Ny-lock style nuts in there. I've never had a pin come loose, so I'm not sure what happened. Good luck.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Grover
Admin "Kicking The Crap Out Of Spammers"

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

The pins will not work loose on their own.

I have had the bag too far forward or back and not had the pin aligned when trying to secure the bag. Because the pin is in a bind, it feels like it is secure.

If you will grab the bag by the top, inner corners and give it a pull, it would come free.

Sometimes a visual inspection will help determine if the pins are fully locked in place.

Old 11-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

What Grover said....

One time I had removed the bags for cleaning. Installed them when I was done and they felt like the pins had locked in place. Pulled the bike out of the garage to put it in the storage building and I heard a noise from the right side. Turns out the pins didn't fully lock into place. From then on I always watch the pin as I lock them into place so I know they are secured on the lock springs.

Brian

Old 11-14-2005, 01:31 PM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Ive caught myself a couple of times not FULLY locking the pins. They have a notch at the fully locked point. It can sometimes feel like youve turned them all the way but you havent reached that notch.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:04 AM
capt42a
Road Master

Hi msbhvn,
I had the same problem after installing the rear docking hardware on my 06 FLTH. The pins weren't lined up perfectly with the spring wire that lock the bags in place(had to take the mounts off to get the rear docking hardware on). I had to adjust the saddlebag mounting bracket so the pins lined up. I take a flashlight and make sure the pins are locked on the wire now. How much trouble was installing the siren ? Where is the connector for the siren ? connector color , location ?
Later,
capt42a

Old 11-15-2005, 12:30 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i take mine off everytime i clean the bike, i sure wouldnt want anything except the camlocks! ya just have to make sure theyre locked!

Old 11-15-2005, 09:10 AM
msbhvn
Cruiser

capt42a ,

To install the siren you have to pull both saddlebags, both side covers, remove the maxi fuse from the left side and remove the electronic module from the right side. Siren is plug and play to the underneath side of the module. I installed the siren II which has pager capability even though I don't have the pager yet so you have to run an antenna wire along frame. Reverse everything to go back just make sure the pins are connected. I didn't discover mine came loose for about 100 miles so now I'll need some repairs to the finish and I'm not sure what I will do. I need to figure out exactly what needs locked because I would have swore everthing was secure.