Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra headsets 5 pin vs 7 pin question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

I use the IMC helmetless headsets with the J&M cb but will be honest with you....the J&M works a lot better...Send and receceives clearer and the music sounds better. SIerra electronics has all kinds of plugs to match just about any needs you have,,...Call them they are very helpful....They too recommend J&M...

Old 04-05-2010, 07:59 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bissjim
Your Honda headset should work on a pre 2006 Harley. Your Honda headset has a 5 pin din connector and the Jack on your bike is a 7 pin. The 5 pin connector on the Honda headset will plug into the 7 pin Harley jack. The wiring on a 5 pin and a 7 pin is the same. In other words the Honda headset wiring is the same as the Harley for the pins you will be using. The other two pins on the Harley are used for a hand microphone. This is not true for post 2005 bikes as Harley changed the microphone. Just line up the key on your Honda headset connector with the key on the bike's jack and plug it in it will only go one way and should work.

I know because I used to make 5 to 7 and 7 to 5 pin conversion cables along with custom length headset cords for extra tall people. I also used the same helmet and 5 pin headset on my Yamaha Venture and my 02 Ultra.

If you want you can email me for more info.
Umm.. I think you are thinking backwards.. The 7 Pin Din (female)plug on the headset will plug into a 5 Pin Din (male) in the bike. If you try it the other way..5 pin to 7 Pin..the 2 extra pins on the 7 pin male chassis mount..wont have anywhere to go on the 5 pin female plug ..( there are only 5 holes on the plug...)

Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Mevman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bissjim
Your Honda headset should work on a pre 2006 Harley. Your Honda headset has a 5 pin din connector and the Jack on your bike is a 7 pin. The 5 pin connector on the Honda headset will plug into the 7 pin Harley jack. The wiring on a 5 pin and a 7 pin is the same. In other words the Honda headset wiring is the same as the Harley for the pins you will be using. The other two pins on the Harley are used for a hand microphone. This is not true for post 2005 bikes as Harley changed the microphone. Just line up the key on your Honda headset connector with the key on the bike's jack and plug it in it will only go one way and should work.

I know because I used to make 5 to 7 and 7 to 5 pin conversion cables along with custom length headset cords for extra tall people. I also used the same helmet and 5 pin headset on my Yamaha Venture and my 02 Ultra.

If you want you can email me for more info.
I tried pluging in this morning. The headset speakers work fine but I can't get the vox to break no matter where I set it. I tried using PTT but can't really hear anything in the headset from the mic. Maybe my mic isn't the correct type for the 04 Ultra system. I was given a headset from the original owner and tested that mic on the Ultra and it works okay, so I know the bike system is functioning.
Any other thoughts?
Thanks a bunch.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Mevman
Advanced

Originally Posted by kyote
Umm.. I think you are thinking backwards.. The 7 Pin Din (female)plug on the headset will plug into a 5 Pin Din (male) in the bike. If you try it the other way..5 pin to 7 Pin..the 2 extra pins on the 7 pin male chassis mount..wont have anywhere to go on the 5 pin female plug ..( there are only 5 holes on the plug...)
Just an FYI that the female side is on the bike with the male being on cord side. The 5 pin cord plugs into a 7pin female jack without trouble.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:01 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mevman
Just an FYI that the female side is on the bike with the male being on cord side. The 5 pin cord plugs into a 7pin female jack without trouble.
damn.. I used my brain before it was fully engaged..lol.. was thinking of my Amateur Radio Mic cord.... .. ( nevermind....lol...)

Old 10-03-2018, 10:11 AM
jgaughen
Stage III

I know this is an old thread, but I have having this same issue. I bought a set of HD wired headsets off EBay to use on my 1996 Ultra Classic Tour Glide. When I plug them in, the speakers work, but no VOX, which was why I went with the older system in the first place. I was reading the manual, it came with the bike, and it refers to a 5 pin DIN headset. So I looks like the 7 pin DIN headset fits into the 96 DIN port on the center console, but the pinouts must be a little off. I have a set of the Boom Audio Full Helmet Premium Music and Comm headset - Part Number 77117-10. I think the 7 pin DIN Headset mic is not pinned out the same as the 5 pin DIN on the bike.
So, do you have the pinouts for both the bike and the headsets, or do you still make the adapters? I would need two. Other option is to scrap it all and move over to a new head unit, and Bluetooth headsets, I just don't like having to spend the $$ it will take to do all that. I have a Bluetooth cassette adapter that works fine for playing music from my phone, I just can't answer the phone with it. Any advice would be appreciated.