Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Grayhawk
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter seal leak

My shifter shaft seal is leaking for the second time. I had it replaced under warranty at 22,000 miles. Now my 05 Ultra has 53,000 miles on it and it is leaking again. I guess these seals just don't last long. How many times has anyone else replaced this on their bike.

By the way, I had my cams bearing checked at 50,000 miles and they showed only baout 25% wear. Currently my clutch cable is leaking and I have to keep wiping the oil of the bottom of my bike. It appears that it is blwing out from the crimp seal on the cable. Just minor things on my way to wearing out a Harley motor.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:16 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Default RE: Shifter seal leak

Grayhawk -53,000 miles - you ride brother - awesome. Retired???

Interesting - I also have an '05 Ultra (with 7 yr warr.) approaching 20M miles and have developed an oil leak which appears at first to be a poor seal at the primary drain location but actuallyI think it is oozing down from the shifter shaft seal and just showing up at the primary drain plug area. Leaks about a couple drops a day/night.

My tranny(MTL) and engine oil (Mobil V-twin) levels are constant and very easy to check so I have safelyconcluded this is primary oil.No easy way to check the primary level to my knowledge. Any tips on this???

Did you have any "symptoms" besides that annoying daily drip???

Did the stealer diagnose the source of your leak??? Major repair??? How long to fix??? I'm not going to give them the scoot until the riding season is over.

My guess is that it looks like these sealslast about ~25,000 miles.

Could be a factory defect in the '05 Ultras / recall??? Anybody else have this issue too???

THANKS.

PS - check out this thread too: https://www.hdforums.com/m_2181753/m...tm.htm#2197209

Old 09-23-2007, 06:17 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Cometic and James both make a seal that will last longer than the HD stock seal. Doc

Old 09-23-2007, 07:43 AM
Grayhawk
Advanced

I am not retired, i woek full time in state gov't. I also take one class a semester working on my MBA. I just ride a lot. I ride to work everyday in the summer tha it doesn't rain. I am planning on riding to Biketoberfest. Like I said, this is my second shifter shaft seal leak. I baby my bike and don't ride over 85 mph most of the time. No real problems other than that. I will definitely see how many miles one can getout of a twin cam 88.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:58 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

I had a leak in mine 06 ultra 15,000 miles and the mechanic at the local dealer said I was putting too much oil in transmission when I change it. I put it on the high mark, maybe too much for my bike. I`m using Redline Shockproof Heavy.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If you look at the rear shifter linkage, check where the shaft comes out of the transmission. If there is a seal leak there, you will see oil. That's how the service manager concluded I had a leak after I saw a few drops on the garage floor.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Noble Steed
Advanced

Similar problems. I just relpaced my clutch cable becase there was fluid leaking from what I surmised to be the metal crimp where the cable threads into theclutch face. I was leaking a lot of fluid from the cable. I have also developed the "drop or two" under my primary from what I guss is the rear shigfter seal from reading other posts on the forum. I think I am going to ride it unti it becomes a problem. Other posters have reported upwards of 300.00 to fix the seal.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:37 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

I had a leak in mine 06 ultra 15,000 miles and the mechanic at the local dealer said I was putting too much oil in transmission when I change it. I put it on the high mark, maybe too much for my bike. I`m using Redline Shockproof Heavy.
dgriffith: Do you use HEAVY in your trans???I use it in the primary. Didn't know that was an option for the trans. I use MTL in trans. That sh$t is like different shade of blood and easy to distinguish.

Anybody: so the shifter seal leak is PRIMARY or TRANS fluid???

Old 09-27-2007, 12:56 AM
Driftwood
6th Gear

I have 21,000 on my 04 RKC and it did the same thing but I also believe it's caused by overfilling. I used to let the stealer do the oil changes because the bike is still under warranty but I do it myself now. Mine never reached the point of dripping on the floor but I have to ridedown a quarter mile of sand road to get home and I saw the sand collecting around the shaft when I was cleaning. They replaced it under the warranty and I had them upgrade the tensioneron the primary. I didn't have to pay any labor on that since the primary was apart anyway.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:05 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

&nbsp\\;
Is this the same shaft that contains the "spring" action of the shifter???
&nbsp\\;
My spring action has been long gone.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Maybe they can fix two things at the same time - shifter shaft seal leak and spring - same area???
&nbsp\\;
THANKS.
&nbsp\\;
Dave H.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: Shifter seal leak