Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Quest GPS

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:16 PM
ndotken
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin Quest GPS

I'm thinking seriously of buying a GPS. Are any of you guys using the Garmin Quest or Quest 2 GPS and can you give me your thought/feedback/comments about the unit? I know the Zumo is the latest and greatest, but the Quest series can be bought on Ebay for less than $200, which is alot of green to keep in my pocket. But before I buy one, I'd like to hear some experience from someone that's used it.

Also, the HD Road Tech Conquest looks just like it. I'm guessing that it is the Quest repackaged specially for HD, so I'd be interested in hearing any feedback on the Conquest also.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Yogibear
Tourer
Default RE: Garmin Quest GPS

You'reright, the HD version is identical except it has all HD dealer locations built in
just in case you have extra cash you want to spend on a trip. And it has the HD logo on it.

As far as usage, I have the Garmin version. It works great. It has a built in sensor to determine
background light requirements. I didn't have much trouble with sunlight washout either.

The only thing I don't like is if you don't turn where it tells you to, it has trouble catching up.
Also for safety reasons you can't ask it any questions when you're moving. You need
to actually stop and then enter what you want. IE gas stations or food etc. Some GPS's have
a touch screen but then they are also more expensive.

This unit is still worth it. Go for it.

Dennis

Old 10-29-2007, 06:39 AM
Detroit Sparky
6th Gear

The Quest 2/ Conquest is the latest version. I really like my conquest. Reference my post on 10-28 regarding the fairing mount issues. I opted for the Garmin due to ability to push buttons with gloves on vs touch screen (Zumo). Audio thru HD sound system works great. Having the ability to have Zumo's built in MP3 was not a consideration for me due to already having the HD MP3 player accessory.
I used the unit extensivly in October touring PA then down the Blue Ridge, saved us several times from getting lost. My only issue is the audio voice is a female voice, Taking directions from a woman goes against all my principles! Wish there was a option to change the voiceto a male voice(LOL).

Ride Safe, Ride Often

Old 10-29-2007, 07:01 AM
Smitty0128
Road Master

i am running the quest II (non hd unit) with all the cradle and fairing mounts from hd and works great I LOVE IT

Old 10-29-2007, 07:21 AM
y2k king
Cruiser

i have the quest 2. you can download the poi's like the harley dealers from the net. i switch it from the bike to the jeep in a second. it's small enough for pocket carry too.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:45 AM
DRCLB
Advanced

Ditto what Smitty said!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:39 AM
Lpye
Road Captain

I use the quest 2 on my bike and in my truck. I have traveled all over theUS and Canada on the bike using the Quest 2. No problems. You can upload the dealer POI files. You can also serch locations without having to stop. There is a setting that allows or restricts this.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:54 AM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Conquest. A BMW friend had an older Garmin that stopped working and sprung for the Zumo. Unlike most, he doesn't like it for the money he spent and wished he'd bought a different model.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:01 AM
JCTulsa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Quest 2 and like it. Garmin has a great customer service department. I cut the cord off mine and hot wired it in my truck. When I plugged it in I fried it. Seems there is a board in the speaker part of the cord at the cig lighter plug-in that reduces 12v to 5v. YIKES!
Sent back to Garmin before I found out about this and they replaced the entire unit within 5 days.

JC

Old 10-29-2007, 09:37 AM
sugarbear
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a quest on my uc bought the mount from hd and it works great. I had a rk before the uc and had a mount from ram. love it.

Quick Reply: Garmin Quest GPS