Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street glide wobbles oscillates

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:11 AM
jeff111
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street glide wobbles oscillates

Street glide wobbles oscillates

After 12,000 miles, my 06 all the sudden Street glide wobbles oscillates around 75 to 80 MPH. When it first happened I thought I had a tire going down but they are not. Axel is tight. I don’t think the rear wheel is out of alignment.

No vibration just wobbles oscillates. Almost like the beginning of a tank slapper.

Any ideas ? Only thing new is some passing lamps but they have been on for a few months. This just started.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:35 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: Street glide wobbles oscillates

Broken belt inside the tire. Replace the tire.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:48 AM
acedantinne
Tourer

Adjust head bearing?
When a tire is out of balance you should notice it at slower speeds as well as higher speed Just not as much.

Just changed my fork oil and adjusted head bearing Yesterday. 07 RKC. bearing out 1/4 turn. tighten the swing that is. Now fork oil. Harley says 50,000 miles. It was black at 13,000 miles. Change ever year. Winter time project.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:55 AM
sanaga
Road Captain

i experienced this on my 07 ultra since new from dealer...wobble at 70-80 mph... i take the bike to the shop, and tighten the triple tree head bolt 90 degree, and now my bike is stable as rock at 80mph....really bro, i confused why my brand new ultra loose her head bolt.....
if ur bikesmille has rack up, consider the tyre....

Old 12-30-2007, 09:31 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

On your bike with the milage you have what I would be looking at is ALL the rubber bushings in the engine mounts. Check the swing arm bushings also. Yes it could be that the neck bearings need to be a bit tighter....I been wrenching on bikes a very long time, and I never liked HD's setting of the neck bearings. That whole "fall away" procedure for tightening them is OK I guess, but I much rather go by feel. I get the bike up off the ground and with the front wheel pointing dead streight, I grab the forks from below the sliders, and pull towards the front. If I can feel any back and forth play in the forks I tighten the notched nut on the top of the upper trip tree....not too far, but enough. Then while the bike is still off the ground, I turn the bars from lock to lock and see if I can feel and type of indent in the race....if there is one its always right at the dead streight position, and indicates a worn steering head bearing....and then they should be replaced with Timkin roller bearings.

I had a bit of a wobble in the fron end of my 03' Deuce.....after having the front wheel/tire balanced, and after I reinstalled it, I checked the "fall away" as per the MOCO's specs. It showed that it was ok..but I still had a bit of a wobble. I put it back up in the air, and tightened the steering head nut until I liked the way it felt....put a new lock tab washer on it (it was now out of HD specs on the tight side), and took her for a ride. Perfect.....no more wobble....no more vague feeling front end, and rock solid on the highway even at tripple digit speeds (I never go that fast in normal riding, but felt it necessart for testing the front end's feel).

This dont sound like the problem on your bike though....IMHO. It could be the problem and should be checked at least, but I would look real hard at all the mounts and swing arm bushings/bearings first.

Please post back with your results.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:08 AM
kennyross
Cruiser

I have the same problem wobbles oscillates around 75 to 80 MPH.I have changed tires to metz, tightened head bering.
Removed swingarm bushings to replace, looked just like the new ones. Replaced rear shocks. Changed spokes to mag rims.
Added Ride-str8. Bike still does it. It's an 03 RKC. I think some people get this problem mixed up whit the tank slapper problem.
I seem to notice it more since I changed to metz tires. Not sure what it is, but would love to know.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:28 AM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

Check your front motormount, mostlikely torn if it hasen't already been replaced.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:44 AM
06glideman
Intermediate

I ride the 06 SG and had the same problem changed the back tire and had the neck checked at local HD said there was no problem but it still happend took it to an old ace HD mechanic and he tore down the neck and infact it was the neck bearing at only 6500 miles the HD guys will only torque to HD specsI would start here but dont just tighten the **** out of it from the top this needs to be done right or you will still have the problem

Old 12-30-2007, 10:50 AM
kennyross
Cruiser

I also changed the front motor mount to the new style.
It starts to get expensive changing parts only to find out thats not the problem.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:01 AM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

At 12000 miles you are probablly ready for a new front tire anyway, second grease the steering neck most likely not enough grease in it. road test it and see how it is. then let us know.

Quick Reply: Street glide wobbles oscillates