Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HQ 103" Install Yeah Happy Me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 05:00 PM
tom73
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HQ 103" Install Yeah Happy Me!!!

Last night I finished up the HQ 103 build on my 07 FLHX.

Initial impressions are great. The bike pulls real hard though I am not cranking on it too much just yet. I did take Phil's advice in regards to the 10 30-60 moh runs in 3rd gear to seat the rings but just want to give it a little more time to be sure. I am still smiling after the few times I did twist the throttle hard. If you are in a low gear it jumps and wants to pull the front end up. In the higher gears you can really feel the torque.

I am still waiting for Kevin to forward me a map for my build as I am using a canned map from the SERT to get started. IF ANYONE HAS A SERT MAP FROM HQ FOR A 103 PLEASE FORWARD IT TO ME AT tom73@comcast.net

Here are some quick pictures and comments. I am not nearly as detailed as Dalton and Phil.

First are the Heads. BEAUTIFUL!

Coming Apart

Top Loading of Pistons. The circlips were a PITA, much heavier gauge than the stock ones.

Looks pretty empty here

Going Back together. I meant to take some pictures of the cam install but was running late on time and just decided to get it done. The binder clips worked great to keep the lifters up in the blocks.

Once the freezing rain stops I will get her out and log a few more miles and report back.

I big thank you to Phil M. I appreciate all of your advice and patience. He even took the time to call me when I ran into a few issues.

I couldn't get my pics to work but they are all attached

Old 12-30-2007, 05:03 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HQ 103" Install

Grin alert!!!!

That's great news Tom! I knew you'd like it. It flat makes a different bike out of it, doesn't it?

Good job, Congrats!

btw - those are some really good look'n heads!

Old 12-30-2007, 05:11 PM
tom73
Tourer

Yeah it is pretty f'n awesome. I just want to try and get the proper map in it as I wouldn't be surprised if it had more. The pro-tuner was doing it's thing as it was getting stronger as I rode it. I had a helluva time with the intake. The manifold has reliefs cast into in it for the flange and without them the bolts were impossible to get in. I ended up grinding off some of the side of the bolts as well as taking a small amount of material off of the intake to make the bolts go in square. I was sweating but now that it is running I am smiling ear to ear. My ears are chapped from smiling so big.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

excellent I have talked to Dalton on my build I would like to do...I was also going to go w/ the 103 HQ...how long did it take you to get the parts...? did you enjoy the work...? How long to build...?

I sold my drz400 "06" in about 1 1/2 months after I bought it new I put new cams in,I could not get that thing to move like I wanted it to...way to slow for my likin...I bought a 525 KTM "06" and put a light kit on it and sent the title out for street legal...this bike rips (its like "look mom no hands"...)

Old 12-30-2007, 06:21 PM
tom73
Tourer

Tim,

I have to be honest and say I was slightly intimidated to pull apart the motor at first. I replaced the head gaskets on my previous bike with no issues but still was hesitant. Thankfully my cousin who is an experienced wrench came over to watch over me. I enjoyed the work immensly and am hoping I can get a second bike one day and build that motor. Surprisingly it is very simple to do just take your time and keep everything in order. I used baggies for the bolts and labeled everything. I even used post it notes on the tank vent lines as a reminder.

To answer your questions I got the parts pretty quick as I elected to pay the core charge. I will be mailing mine back in tomorrow so you could request those. HQ sent me heads from an 04 HD. The only difference is the intake flange bolts are 160 degrees across while the 06 and newer heads are 180 degrees across. If you can get the newer style heads that is the way to go. If you read my last post I had to modify the flanges and TB to get the bolts in. The total time to complete the work was about 12 hours but that included the first time I picked up a wrench to the time I put the last one down. I could probably shave 3-4 hours off of that if I did it again.

The DRZ has not gotten much use in the last few months since I bought the SG. I have to get out on it more. I have one of the best riding areas in the state about 2 miles from my house, Wharton State Forest. Definately a weird feeling flying through the woods with the trees so close after riding the bagger.

If you decide to tackle the build yourself just let me know. Since you are in Eastern PA I would be glad to lend a hand.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:31 PM
GreyGhost
Cruiser

Do you mind sharing how much cabbage it took to do this build, with you doing the labor?

Old 12-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Uh Oh, another satisfied customer !

Sounds great, and you are most likely right, that there is more to be had once you start getting the tune closer to optimum.

Glad to hear it went well. (And those heavier circlips are a real PITA. but sfter the first one, the others seem to go in easier as you get the feel for them.)

Old 12-30-2007, 07:02 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

Just get 05 flanges and you would have been all set...

Old 12-30-2007, 07:46 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

go here http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/sporttouring07.htmlI would add $200 to $300 for incidentals
ORIGINAL: GreyGhost

Do you mind sharing how much cabbage it took to do this build, with you doing the labor?

Old 12-30-2007, 08:12 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job, congrats....
I would love to have my motor built also maybe 113, I am just worried about reliabilty....I know from experience with some of my cars that at some point it ain't stretable anymore.

Quick Reply: HQ 103" Install Yeah Happy Me!!!