Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Electra Glide Vrs Road King

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Hogly Ferguson
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Electra Glide Vrs Road King

I am new to the community and getting ready to get my first Harley, I guess great things do happen when you turn "50"...

I love the look of the "Road King" But I will be riding two up 50% of the time, My wife wants comfort ability, and rightfully deserves it...She wants the Cadillac seat of the ultra..Question..

Do they make it changeable for when I want to ride solo?? I wanted to ask other riders before I went to the bike shops...I hate getting gouged...

Thanks, andBlessings...Hogly

Old 01-01-2008, 01:53 PM
murph3204
Road Master
Default RE: Ultra Electra Glide Vrs Road King

I like the versatility of my roaqd king. for a trip I can load it up with a tour pack and then when i want to go solo i can easily install my solo seat for around town. You can change the whole look of the bike in just a matter of minutes. - The stock seat on the Ultra will be more comfortable than the stock RK but you could change it out easily enough. The Ultra is going to have a cushier backrest on the tour pack too.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:56 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes....if you choose to do so, you can remove the tourpack on an Ultra.

I have a co-worker that owned a RK. He and his Mrs rode two up quite frequently, knocking down some serious miles. He was one of those that always said he would never trade up from a RK, as he didn't feel the Ultra exhibited as much of the "Biker" image that the RK did.

Last fall, he took the plunge, and traded the RK in on an 08 Ultra. He (and more importantly, the WIFE), love it.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Hogly Ferguson
Novice

Does the Tour Pack come in differant levels of quality? Such as, ultra, standard, etc? in order to increase the comfortability... I too love the look of the road King, Both are great looking, road king definatly looks solo...

Old 01-01-2008, 02:07 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

My last ride was a RK. I bought a tourpack for it, and put an "Ultra" (the wrap around style) back rest on it. There area variations on tourpacks, but that has more to do with what you buy, and not so much trim levels.

You can get chopped tourpacks (not as high), or you can get a more simple style of backrest, which does not wrap around.

Take a look at the HD catalog, or go to HD's website, and take a look at what is available. It will be pricey tho..a co worker of mine was considering adding a factory painted (to match the bike) King tourpack......the tourpack, along with the mounting brackets and backrest came close to $1200.00

Old 01-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Hogly Ferguson
Novice

Thats the very thing I am concerned about, if I start chopping to start saving, and end up with big money on the tour pack or the change of look...Allthough it seems after looking on the traders that you can get better buys ( price wise) with the Road King...I really need to learn all the differances(bells and whisles) and the comforts of both bikes,

Thanks, Hogly

Old 01-01-2008, 02:14 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Harley TOP TOUR - ULTRA mose cush for your tush (ya get every option).

LOOKS - ROAD KING
Want to tour with it... Put a ToukPak om and your good to go... Want to make it a classic solo... Take the windshield and the TourPak off - hang on a solo seat & ya got one of the best looking solo bike HD makes...

Old 01-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Buddha64
Tourer

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Pappy

Harley TOP TOUR - ULTRA mose cush for your tush (ya get every option).

LOOKS - ROAD KING
Want to tour with it... Put a ToukPak om and your good to go... Want to make it a classic solo... Take the windshield and the TourPak off - hang on a solo seat & ya got one of the best looking solo bike HD makes...
Totally agree, that's why I bought the Road King. I have the sissy bar for two up around town and am buying the tour pak for longer runs.

George

Old 01-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Bluking06
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have beenat the cross roads with on this topic. No doubt...I LOVE my RK however it is not worth itto me to dump an additional 3 to 4K for a tour pak and fairing (ya gotta have sounds/I do not like riding w/o my windshield). Believe me the RK is awesome ane versitile but you are gonna want to add more to it. At this point I refuse to another 3K into it. I am leaning strongly towards the EG Classic orUC. You can get an detachable kit for the tourpak and swap the seat out. You EG will turn into a Street Glide. Look up Zanotti Motor and ChicagoHD for prices on the detachable kit; much cheaper than the catalog.

I forgot mention that my wife enjoys riding and she really enjoys it better when I take outmy cousin's UC.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:32 PM
jeffl0924
Road Master

I had the same dilema....I wanted a RK and wife wanted UC....We compromised...I bought a Standard and detachable tour pack...Love it! When she is not with me, I can put on the low backrest, and when she is we use the Tour Pack...She is nice and comfy up there....I have since bought a SG seat, Now when I solo I use the SG seat....just a little cleaner look. There are pics in my gallery of the bike with the low backrest and with the tour pack on....

Quick Reply: Ultra Electra Glide Vrs Road King