Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(update 2-10-08) Hotpursuits HQ 120 build.. ITS ALIVE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:39 PM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default (update 2-10-08) Hotpursuits HQ 120 build.. ITS ALIVE!

for the rest of you guys out there watching these builds....

i am not an experienced builder, i have wrenched on tons of vehicles in my life, fabricated some, and quite a bit of chassis work (all mainly on my rock crawlers) i know my way around a wrench and have a good understanding.. not to play down the wonderful writeups on these builds or there capabilities but.... if you want to do one of these builds dont hesitate.. document, take your time, check things over and over... PAY EXTREME ATTENTION to DETAIL, and ask tons of questions and you can do it...

Phil and Guy have given me an incredible education and has instilled the confidence to do this build, just as most of you could do also

since my tear down I have started working at a local HD dealer , in the parts dept.

my motor build has moved from my garage to the shop at the dealer... I will be assembling the motor at work. Our head tech is going to oversee my build but i will do the work. then myself and a few friends (for muscle) will set the motor back in my scoot and i will button the rest up at home...

BEFORE i got the job i had spent some time emailing and talking to Philm, what a great guy and a true friend ive never met! YET. He convinced me to go forward on this build and opened up his internet/phone shop to help me... then Guy jumps in and gives me some important info that saved me some of the grunt work they had both done....you guys just flat out ROCK! cant forget Kevin from HQ another great person and friend whom im looking forward to doing some riding with this season... (side note) i will be running a different tuner than the other guys, im gonna run sert and map will be built by Kevin and there new fuel system that piggybacks the sert.

anywho... topic at hand... im not nearly as experienced of builders as these guys are. i will not out do them, nor will i try, on the tech side im sure but, im gonna throw out what i learn and what my concerns are so people who are debating a BIG build or a cam change, top end, or whatever that if you want to do the work, YOU CAN!

for me the cam chest area is one place that will be a little, umm, interesting... alot going on in there, i am intimidated by it, but one part at a time and good advice from all above stated resources, it will be addressed and i will post on here what i experience and try to help the guys that are one step behind me on making a build commitment...

parts are not here yet but once they arrive, ill will begin and update this post as i go...

1-7-08

Darkhorse showed up at 415 friday eve... opened it up for a quick peak and set her on the shelf, waiting for HQ now.. they shipped friday might see tomorrow or wednesday...

ill throw out a little parts list for ya.

HQ 120 kit
darhorse case bored, timkens, jims crank, balanced.
tp rocker boxes and roller rockers
s$s reed valve breather (gonna see if it fits)
screamin eagle oil pump and cam billet cam plate
HPI 48mm tb with se injectors
SE adjustable push rods
all the necessary gaskets
chrome inner primary (Dalton made me do it)
D&D boarzilla
sert
HQ's fueler
we have three different setups as far as clutches go.. Phil and his King Kong, Dalton and his rivera?, myself, well i have barnet clutches, se spring and a vpc. my set up has less than 1500 miles on it so im gonna give it a try and see how she holds up... if i have issues ill go with whomever is having the best luck....

i will take a bunch of pics once HQ arrives and the build starts...

1-9-08 HQ arrived today, everything looks sweet.. ill get pics asap, wont be able to start build till tuesday..got to work till then...

THE BIG DAY!!!!!

1-15-08
started assembly today..

a good friend of mine, Joey<, owns a machine shop in greensburg pa A1 Machine... i took my pistons and cylinders to him monday morning... he did the grinding on the rear piston for me.. what a

Old 01-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: a twist on Philm's and Daltons hq 120 builds...

Very well said!

Phil,Guy and John (SpikeCT) are a wealth of knowledge for sure and a damn good addition to this forum.There were way to many people to mention that helped me with My build at Bryans shop but they all know who they were.You can do it wit the help of this forum.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Can't wait to see it begin. Once you are done, you will probably laugh slightly at being a little initimidated by the cam chest. It's really pretty straight forward. For me, the primary assembly gives me the cold sweats. I've never taken one apart beyond fixing a loose comp nut couple of years ago.

Good luck.

Zach

Old 01-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Biggzed,
Your sig pic is what gives me the cold sweats

Old 01-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Rob: Looking forward to your 120" build and posts on the subject. Man, you're going from ZERO Twin Cam assembly experience, skipping the cam swap, then top end, then bottom end learning curve sequence straight to the ENTIRE engine, and a 120 to boot. We're very lucky to have guys on the Forum like Guy, Phil and many, many others who are so helpful.

I'm sure Kevin is looking forward to seeing your 120 here in Georgia (and I am too), and compare theHQ 113 he is building now.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:37 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Dalton

Biggzed,
lmao at that one.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:28 PM
hotpursuit
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

Rob: Looking forward to your 120" build and posts on the subject. Man, you're going from ZERO Twin Cam assembly experience, skipping the cam swap, then top end, then bottom end learning curve sequence straight to the ENTIRE engine, and a 120 to boot. We're very lucky to have guys on the Forum like Guy, Phil and many, many others who are so helpful.

I'm sure Kevin is looking forward to seeing your 120 here in Georgia (and I am too), and compare the HQ 113 he is building now.

well i did do a top end once before... and after the tear down... the bottom, well its coming back from darkhorse ready to go. i feel good bout the top end, primary and such... just havent messed with cams much, im anxious to learn them too... allready read the manual a couple times and feeling good bout the build overall.

Kevin is a great guy, looking forward to doin some riding with him again, and sure hope i get to meet you while im down there...

Old 01-01-2008, 11:36 PM
hotpursuit
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: GlideMan

Biggzed,
lmao at that one. I'm ordering my cylinders, pistons and the 64G cams tomorrow from Steve. My buddy will tear my bike down in his shop next week and split the cases as it's way to freakin cold in my Garage right now, and I didn't install the furnace last fall like I wanted. I will help tear it down and build it back up, and like Rob? (Hotpursuit) will have the guidance of a seasoned wrench. I spoke with John at Darkhorse yesterday and will be sending him the cases for his magic touch.

If I may hijack this thread for a second with a couple questions though Guy?

What Cams did you choose for your build?
What cylinders do they use at HQ?
Aren't they Rev Performace cause I saw that on their web site?
Finally...How does that boarzilla sound compared to what you had?

Great post Rob, and can't wait to follow all of you with my new 124" build. Cheers!

cant speak for dalton on the cams...but

im running hq 575 gear drive cams, i believe Guy is running the same cam but chain drive

HQ uses HD's cylinders and are machined to match the pistons.... i believe they have rev perf as an option if the customer requests them..

thanks, lookin forward to ur 124 build as well.... geeeze maybe i should of just went 131 lol

Old 01-02-2008, 08:00 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: GlideMan

Biggzed,
lmao at that one.

If I may hijack this thread for a second with a couple questions though Guy?

What Cams did you choose for your build?
HeadQuarters 575
What cylinders do they use at HQ?
For the 113 and 120 builds, they are the HD Bigger Bore Cylinders. The bore is 4.060, but Doug bores them to 4.065 to take the taper out of them. Used the stock base and head gaskets that come from HD with those cylinders. The quench is calculated using these gaskets and was right on .030 whenI checked it.
Aren't they Rev Performace cause I saw that on their web site?
Nope, the Rev Perf cyls are for the 107 build.
Finally...How does that boarzilla sound compared to what you had?
The Boarzilla is louder than the RB Racing Blackhole, but quieter than the Rinehart TD's that I originally had after doing the 103" build. They are nice and deep at idle, have a Nascar sound to them at acceleration and settle into a vey distinct low "hum" at steady speed. Haven't put a lot of miles on them yet, so the jury is still out. So far I like them, I did get them with the Quiet baffle. With this build, anything other than that is going to be LOUD.
Great post Rob, and can't wait to follow all of you with my new 124" build. Cheers!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:10 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is GREAT, Rob!

I have no doubt that you will be TOTALLY successful with this. I know it can be intimidating just thinking about it, or about specific parts of the project that get more or less talk time, but honestely... just take your time, be very thorough and ASK QUESTIONS as you proceed when you encounter things that you may not understand, & you'll be fine. You are absolutely on the right track and you have a ton of support at your disposal.

If ya can, take & post some pics along the way. I know I felt like I was being repetitive as Guy had just posted similar stuff. I think it would be great to see it all through "your eyes" and hear about it from "your perstictive".

Good stuff Rob, thanks for taking the time to do this!!!!

GlideMan - Rob & Guy are right. The jugs for these motors start out as HD "BiggerBore" cylinders, but they get the "Doug Treatment" before they see the light of day. They are bored, honed, & setup so that a set of HQ spec'd CP pistons fit perfectly (unlike off the shelf mass production stuff).

Quick Reply: (update 2-10-08) Hotpursuits HQ 120 build.. ITS ALIVE!