Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torx sizes used on touring bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Dennis Murawski
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torx sizes used on touring bikes

I've got a 2007 FLHT and I'm trying to assemble an over the roadtool kit for it. I don't want to haul anymore weight around than I need to but at the same time I don't want to find that while I'm hundreds of miles away, Ineed a critical tool that's back home in the tool box. I know I need a torx driver for the primary. Are there other torx fasteners on the scoot that havedifferent sizes? Thanks.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:16 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts
Default RE: Torx sizes used on touring bikes

There are several sizes, most of which are covered in any basic kit. BUT MAKE SURE you have a T27...you'll need it and it's kind of an oddball.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Thirdup
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience, the first four torx on the primary inspection cover are T27.

The fifth one was a size "grinder, chisel, hammer, cutting tourch, and some form of sheetrock repair to nearest wall".

Old 02-25-2008, 12:23 PM
rockdoc
Tourer

I went to Sears and bought the 7 (or 9??) piece torx 1/4' drive socket set for my road kit. It's pretty small and fits right in the canvas roll-up kit I have. I carry a 1/4 drive and 3 inch extension with me.

BTW - I took the crappy little torx screws out of my derby cover and replaced them with stainless allen head screws - plus they match the rest of the primary bolts and they are harder to strip than the crappy little torx screws that come on the bike. If the bike came with allen screws instead, I would not be the proud owner of an screw/bolt extractor set, but I digress.......

Old 02-25-2008, 12:31 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

ORIGINAL: Thirdup

From my experience, the first four torx on the primary inspection cover are T27.

The fifth one was a size "grinder, chisel, hammer, cutting tourch, and some form of sheetrock repair to nearest wall".
LOL...Ain't that the truth? I snapped the head right off one of mine but got REALLY lucky and was able to back it out with a drill in reverse.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:33 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get rid of every torx i remove for a allen head. To many people stripping out torx heads.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:05 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

I bought the craftsman socket torx set. The ones that don't come in the set are the ones you need!

Why would you want to open the primary on the road? Unless you just want to verify that your screwed?

Old 02-25-2008, 02:09 PM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: captjon37

I get rid of every torx i remove for a allen head. To many people stripping out torx heads.
Too many people using the wrong size torx wrench . I've never had a problem with one yet using the T27 and not the T25 like some do.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Dennis Murawski
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: EdwardK

Why would you want to open the primary on the road? Unless you just want to verify that your screwed?
Nothing would make me happier than to never have to reach for the tool kit while touring. Nonetheless, let's just say the primary gasket starts to leak during your two week trip (I know, it's pretty unlikely). Checking the fluid level and topping off when necessary would still allow you to confidently finish the trip and do a proper repair when back home. No way to check means you spend some time and money at a stealership.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:25 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

Usally when you break down you never have what you need anyway.

Quick Reply: Torx sizes used on touring bikes