Ok I was looking at the Hawg Wired Amp and had to read between the lines because their instructions are a little lacking.
I have installed many car amps and knew that they were leaving some things out on the DCS Series 120W (2x60) Amplifier install.
It says plug in their harness mount the amp on thier bracket and install their speakers in the front fairing plug and play. So I am thinking that sounds easy I can do it.
Then scanning further through the instructions there is a slight mention of a power wire to the battery, a ground to the frame, a fuse 6 inches from the battery and no mention of the remote turn on wire except to say there is one. So now it sounds just like a car amp install not plug and play anymore.
So let me see if I have this install down for those who have done one on a 08 Ultra.
1. Remove outer fairing
2. Install amp bracket on top of radio.
3. Cut Velcro pad in half and place one half on top of CB module and second half on top of HW amp bracket.
4. Install amp to velcro
5. Install HW harness to Radio, Amp, and stock harness.
6. Cut HK radio power wire and splice in remote turn on wire so amp gets turned on when radio turns on.
7. Remove or maybe loosen gas tank enough to get power cable to battery?
8. Remove left saddle bag.
9. Remove Seat.
10. Run at least a # 8 ground wire outside the faring in black wire loom somewhere close to frame and ground it.
11. Run at least a # 8 power wire to battery inside black wire loom under the gas tank over the top of the engine.
12. Cut the power wire no more than 6 inches from battery and splice in a fuse maybe a 30 or 60 amp fuse with holder.
13. Install 4 ohm speakers to match amp which does not handle 2 ohm speakers like Jand M speakers I was looking at.
14. Turn on amp and radio make sure it all works.
15. Set radio volume and amp gain control for highest volume without distortion.
16. Check speakers for engine noise.
17. If there is engine noise in your speakers you may be in for a long day trying to find a better ground or installing a noise fillter.
18. If you are good to go reinstall fairing, gas tank, seat and saddle bag.
Did I leave anything out?
I assume the rear stock speakers still work off the deck.
Now that is a lot more work than I first thought.
Questions I have after thinking about this install
1. Will it sound as good as a car amp at 60 watts per channel.
2. Can Ultra handle the extra load.
3. Will my headlights dim if I crank it up.
4. Will the voltage to the amp stay at 14 volts or do I have to install a capacitor in my saddle bag.
5. Hog wired does not say if they rated the amp at 12 volts or 14.2 volts if they rated it at 14.2 volts than I will not get 60 watts per channel without a capacitor if the Ultra can not produce it when I crank it up.
Lets see the comments