Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ipod speaker system for road king????

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 01:28 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ipod speaker system for road king????

Go with a Aftermarket Detachable Fairing - Speakers that hang-on just doesn't look right.
Tried it once on the '01 RKC and couldn't hear anything at cruize speeda and above - went back to MP3 & ear buds...

Old 04-06-2008, 01:43 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Pappy

Go with a Aftermarket Detachable Fairing - Speakers that hang-on just doesn't look right.
Tried it once on the '01 RKC and couldn't hear anything at cruize speeda and above - went back to MP3 & ear buds...
Pappy, I was talking about putting speakers in the fairing lowers, not hanging off the highway bar... I agree with ya, speakers hanging off the highway bar, or off the handlebars, just does not look good to me...

Old 04-06-2008, 01:47 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: phat96

Like what your thinking Papa, eventually I think I'll go that way too. 2 in the bags and 2 on the the crash bars, I'm checking out all the fairing folks at the bike show tomorrow in Scottsdale, 2 more speakers there. I know everyone - if you wanted tunes then you should have bought an Electra, St. Glide etc.

JP, really nice bike.
I really wanted to make it to AZ bike week. It is only a few hours from ABQ... I just could not convience the wife to go... and spending money without her would get me in to trouble, LOL... Let me know if ya pick anything up. And, as far as buying an EG for tunes, you are right, it would be easier, but the advantage to buying a RK and adding some sort of speaker system is, you can still take off all those accessories... which is one of the reasons why the KING is the KING...IMO...

Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 AM
bkhanson
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a set up at a Donnie Smith cycle show in Minneapolis. Its Uniq Cycle Sounds. They take the HD spotlight and place a waterproof speaker in the housing. These mount on the handle bar and the amp anywhere else. They were selling the setup for under 250. Also there was a Kuryaken set up, the sound really was bad. I have not installed mine yet, but at the show it sounded great.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:15 AM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bkhanson - I've not spoken with anyone that has the Unique Cycle Sounds speakers on their bike to know whether they are any good at speed. Unfortunately, almost everything sounds great at a cycle show. It's when you are on the bike going 55 mph or over that you have problems. I had a set of Rumble Road Amplified speakers on my Sportster. They were great at low speed, couldn't hear them on the highway.

Many of the non-bagger crowd have gone to high quality earphones with an MP3 player. I use a pair of Shure E2C's with the foam insert. With the music off, it's like wearing a pair of earplugs.... less wind noise to damage my hearing. With the music on, I can listen at lower volumes than with cheaper headphones... again less damage to my hearing.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:52 PM
bkhanson
Intermediate

I listened to 2 different set ups at the cycle show, and likeI said the Kuryaken did not sound good at all. There was a ton of noise since this was also a swap meet. I also have spoke with several who do use these and the sound or the quality at freeway speeds are not a problem. I will have mine on this week, so I can find out for myself it they will work or not. I do think that sound coming from the center of the handlebar is going to be stronger than from the crash bars. I do have hard lowers and originally planned on using the glove boxes for this set up, but am going to try this first. If you get a chance to see the uniq set up, you would be impressed. Headphones or earphones are just not my thing, I already see too many goofballs with the white cords hangin around the necks....

Old 04-18-2008, 06:52 PM
bkhanson
Intermediate

Well I did get the system wired and installed. Tunes are clean and loud at 75mph. Great set up. Today however I just bought a fairing. Anyone want a stereo for a roadie?