Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M MHAS-2008 Speaker Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:13 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts
Default J&M MHAS-2008 Speaker Review

I just got done installing a set of J&M MHAS-2008 self amplified speakers on my 2009 FLSTC and I thought I would share my experience.
I found the speakers brand new on EBay for $360.00 (a great deal, thats why I bought them). Suggested retail is $499.00, but you can find them all over for around $420.00.

About the speakers:
These self amplified powerhouses are virtually hand built in our factory in Tucson. The amplifier circuits that are installed into the base of the speaker housings now put out well in excess of 40 watts each channel and are sealed in epoxy to provide complete weather proofing. (this power output increase and the noise filter being completely encased inside the housings is what differentiates the MHAS-2008’s from our previous MHAS-2005 speaker sets, along with the lower price). Not only powerful, the amplifier circuits have been specially tuned for the high gain levels necessary to amplify even the smallest of Walkman/MP3-type or portable satellite radio music devices. Left speaker side mounted volume up/down control switches provide for ease of use and convenience while riding. The speaker cones are also waterproof and will provide many years of service without damage from the weather. A top quality chrome finish is applied to the speaker housings as well as the mounting brackets for beauty and durability. The speakers connect directly to your bike's 12V electrical system (no batteries are needed except for your personal music device) and all necessary wiring, mounting hardware and installation instructions are included.

Last edited by PFWiz; 03-22-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:33 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Default J&M MHAS-2008 Speaker Review Part-2

Installation:
The installation was relatively simple. J&M provides good if somewhat basic instructions. All of the electrical connections with the exception of the 12 volt power wire are plug and play. The hardest parts are deciding where to hide the extra cable and deciding where to take the power from.
I hid most of the extra cables in the front fork tins (well Duh!). I took several tries to get them bundled up properly with tie wraps so they would fit in with the proper amount of slack.
Power was a little harder. J&M recommends using a switched power supply (so you don't run your battery flat), but they don't tell you which one. After inspecting a softail wiring diagram and discussing it with some of my more knowledgeable friends I decided to use a crimp splice on the orange and white accessory wire.
The speakers themselves seem to be well built and the chrome was nearly flawless. The kit included all needed parts with the exception of a splice crimp. (I bought a pack at Lowe's for $2.98.)
The speakers mount to the HD hand controls with included chrome mounts. Mounts seem very strong with no play or vibration.
I used a Sansa Fuse as my MP3 player.

Last edited by PFWiz; 03-22-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:47 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Default J&M MHAS-2008 Speaker Review Part -3

Road Test (The good stuff!)

The Good!
The speakers worked perfectly first time out. The music sounded awesome accompanied by the rumble of my Thunderheader. Maximum undistorted volume is very good, bordering on painful. ( After 2 hours of solo riding blasting classic rock at near full volume my ears were ringing! ) The music was quite clear at 80 mph on the highway. When I road with my wife she could hear it clearly at highway speeds also. The built in volume control works flawlessly allowing you to turn down the music at will.

The Not So Good (I really can't call it bad...)
While the speakers have excellent overall volume they are weak in the bass department. I really can't ding them too hard for this though. After all what did you expect from 4" stand alone speakers with no enclosure? Also my throat was getting sore from singing along by the time I got home. :-)

Last edited by PFWiz; 03-22-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:56 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Default J&M MHAS-2008 Speaker Review Part-4

Conclusion

After about 130 miles of riding I can draw some preliminary conclusions.
  1. The speakers sound good with plenty of volume.
  2. If you are an audiophile you need to get a full fairing. (Or don't listen to music on a bike!)
  3. Easy to install! (1 to 2 hours and no trips to the emergency room!)
  4. The installed speakers don't detract from the bike's looks.
  5. Molly Hatchet's "Beatin the Odds" (or Uriah Heap's "Easy Living" or, or...) sounds awesome on a back road at 60 mph with the wind in your face!
I will post some pictures when the weather gets better.... (Northern Ohio sucks.....)

Last edited by PFWiz; 03-23-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:27 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Default Unloved...

What know one has anything to say?

No replies?

No nothing?

Gonna take my ball and go home....

Old 03-24-2010, 10:37 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I am thinking about adding some speakers before the River Run after reading all of these speaker threads. I know J&M are the best for the baggers, so thanks for the review. How do the speakers attach to the switch housings? Drew

Old 03-24-2010, 01:58 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Default Speaker Installation

Drew,

Each speaker installs with 2 allen bolts, either chrome or black (included). The bolts go through mounting plates located on the back, outside (as installed) edge of the speakers. The bolts then go through small chrome stand offs (about 1/2" long) These bolts replace the 2 black bolts holding the 2 halves of the hand controls together on each side.
As I said this makes for a sturdy installation. I am however considering going back with some locktite just to make sure...

Old 03-24-2010, 02:24 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the answer. So they cannot be tilted up or down?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:37 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

No, they can be tilted, slightly, sorta.... (How's that for a definitive answer?)
The answer is they can be tilted to whatever extent you are willing / capable of living with hand controls tilted to. I effect the speakers and hand controls become one unit with the speakers facing 180 out from the clutch / brake lever....
Hope that helps...

Old 03-24-2010, 06:51 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I am only asking as I have apes and don't want the music going over my head. Thanks for the answer.

Quick Reply: J&M MHAS-2008 Speaker Review