Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide and Hogtunes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:39 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Street Glide and Hogtunes

Still am waiting to see if anyone has the Hog Tunes amp installed along with the speakers in their Street Glide. Hog Tunes website is down. I tried to do a search but seemseveryone has the 4 speaker set up in an Ultra etc. Now that I switched to loud pipes I need an upgrade. If I could just get 50% more power from Hog Tunes I should be good and not have to spend the big bucks on Hawg Wired or Biktronics.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Magos
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Street Glide and Hogtunes

I'm waiting too. I'm looking for a more 'full' sound from mine.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:49 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

adding just the hog tune speakers was a great improvement, I also am debating adding the HT ampto my only 2 speakers, maybe Pez or someone else will chime in on how much a gain there is adding the amp if you already have the HT speakers.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:46 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: drrandall1

Still am waiting to see if anyone has the Hog Tunes amp installed along with the speakers in their Street Glide. Hog Tunes website is down. I tried to do a search but seemseveryone has the 4 speaker set up in an Ultra etc. Now that I switched to loud pipes I need an upgrade. If I could just get 50% more power from Hog Tunes I should be good and not have to spend the big bucks on Hawg Wired or Biktronics.
I've had the HT speakers for over a year and alone they provided a meaningful sound improvement, certainly worth $90. Wanting more without spending a fortune, I bought the amp about three months ago. The improvement was even more than the first mod, and I now can hear solid bass arrive back where I'm sitting, even when on the superslab. Pez told me that with the 2Ω HT speakers the amp develops about 32w x 2 at that impedence, in contrast to 18w x 2 for the stock head unit.

It is not a perfect solution, as you are still at the mercy of the HK head unit, which clips (distorts) too early IMO. Since the amp uses the high-gain method of tapping into the head unit, the amp will transfer any distortion sent over to it. The good news is that it has a pot that allows up to 3db of gain, and it provides a default +10db of bass boost. Make sure it is set to +3 and the pot is not in between settings, because if it is there could be problems with one speaker or both cutting out at inopportune times. Ask me how I know this. As a side note, I found that the HK firmware v8.9 provides a louder output, thus clipping is less of a problem than it was with 8.11 or the newest 8.19. Pez has v8.9 on his website (http://www.hogtunes.com/softwareupdates.htm). If you have trouble, let me know as I have it here and could email it to you. As a side note about the 8.9 firmware, the clock will run fast (about 2½ min/month for mine) and there is some issue with CB radios. I don't have one, so I can't comment on that.

Another caveat is in the installation of the amp, which is marketed as "plug-and-play." Well, not really, but almost. The only glitch is running the 12V wires from the battery under the tank to the fairing. There is no way this wire with the fuse holder will pull through from the front without a tank removal, even if you jack up the rear like I did, but there is a simple solution. I cut the wire near the connector on the fairing end, ran it through from the rear to front, then soldered/heatshrinked the wires back together. Pez has an installation video out now (that I haven't seen), so maybe he shows a way to do this without cutting the wires.

I would say that for $300 (speakers and amp) it is a worthwhile upgrade, and my stereo now has a full range of frequencies available. In stock form, or even with HT speakers alone, it is a lackluster sound by comparison lacking in bass and fullness. There may be better alternatives out there, but all of them seem to be much more expensive, and I can't comment on them since I haven't heard them.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Rocky Rox
Intermediate

I installed the HW speakers in my 08 RoadGlide in about 20 minutes. It took another 15 mins to mount and wire the amp to the speakers. I spent the next 3 hours trying to get the amp wired to the battery including removing the tank (6 gal). At this time the bike is apart and I'm waiting for Pez (or tech support)to respond to my voice mail. It seems that today is Victoria Day in Canada so they're all drinking Molson and playing hockey :-) My setup will only be for front speakers but I like the idea of the amp for more kick at higher speeds. Stay tuned.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:40 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Rocky Rox

I installed the HW speakers in my 08 RoadGlide in about 20 minutes. It took another 15 mins to mount and wire the amp to the speakers. I spent the next 3 hours trying to get the amp wired to the battery including removing the tank (6 gal). At this time the bike is apart and I'm waiting for Pez (or tech support)to respond to my voice mail. It seems that today is Victoria Day in Canada so they're all drinking Molson and playing hockey :-) My setup will only be for front speakers but I like the idea of the amp for more kick at higher speeds. Stay tuned.
This is what I was worried about. Now someone is removing his gas tank to hook up an amp. Think I will buy a set up and pay the hour or 2 labor to have it hooked up right.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:26 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, I have it.

No, you do not have to remove the gas tank.

Yes, its worth the money.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:36 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ww1flyingace

Yes, I have it.

No, you do not have to remove the gas tank.

Yes, its worth the money.

I was talking sg's

Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

Just run the wire under the dash console.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:21 AM
robandlyn
Road Master

If you read PEZ's instructions CORRECTLY he advises you to run the power for the amp
OVER the tank under the console which is easier. Of course I figured (didn't read directions)
to do itthe " HARLEY WAY " (under the tank) and it ain't so bad to do !
Take off the bolts holding tank front and rear then place a towel under it after raising it
a few inches then use a long heavy duty zip tie I taped the power wire to it and pulled
it along under the tank. Took a whole 10 min's.
My Wife has the Hogtune speakers in her SG and loves them without the amp.
I will try to remember tonight after work to make a youtube video for ya.
I already have 2 HOGTUNE videos there already. Do a search for HOGTUNE on youtube.
Rob ......

Quick Reply: Street Glide and Hogtunes