Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack in the way of fluid change?.....check this out! pics!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 05:58 PM
scottiebe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack in the way of fluid change?.....check this out! pics!

so i go get eveything i need to do my 1st service, get home slide my yellow craftsman "profesional" jack under the bike, lift it, and even strap it down (usually dont put straps on, and sofar have only used jack to wash bike) grab my wrench, a rag, and my drain pan.......wtf!!! no way can i put the pan under there with the jack, and even if i do finagale it, i still cant get to all 3 plugs at once! so i remember seeing members here using a 2x4 under jiffy stand.....so i just happen to have a 2x6 within reach, so with the jack out of the way, i mount the bike slide the 2x6 under stand with my foot, and then dismount...great! after i get all 3 plugs out i then mount back up so the bike will be more upright, well as im sitting there holding the bike upright, i start looking around and thinking.......and here is what i came up with!! works like a charm.........

i kept the 2x6 under the stand and that holds the in the desired position, then the jack stands under the bag supports stableize it and keep it rock solid!!
just another solution for those looking!!!

Old 08-25-2011, 06:02 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Use a paint roller pan for the fluid change and you don't need to mess with any of that crap

Old 08-25-2011, 06:38 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHTK
Use a paint roller pan for the fluid change and you don't need to mess with any of that crap
yea , the oil drains out the side , better to have it leaning , although I found if I park my bike on the center stand like the night before and let the oil drain back in the motor more then lean it over there is very little oil let in the filter , less mess , could use your system for that

Old 08-25-2011, 06:44 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Too much info for such a simple job, LOL.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SG has a lowered rear & one trick is to roll the back wheel up on a 2X8 board then carefull put it on the kick stand. A normal auto style drain pan works then.

Or buy a steel or alum turkey basting pan to drain the oil into. I put a section of 1/4" screen on mine to catch the hot plug, its been working fine for years.

Ive never used my floor lift to change the fluids.

But to each their own.....

Old 08-25-2011, 07:14 PM
tbills66
Cruiser

I just roll mine up on boards and pull the plugs.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:17 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scottiebe
so i go get eveything i need to do my 1st service, get home slide my yellow craftsman "profesional" jack under the bike, lift it, and even strap it down (usually dont put straps on, and sofar have only used jack to wash bike) grab my wrench, a rag, and my drain pan.......wtf!!! no way can i put the pan under there with the jack, and even if i do finagale it, i still cant get to all 3 plugs at once! so i remember seeing members here using a 2x4 under jiffy stand.....so i just happen to have a 2x6 within reach, so with the jack out of the way, i mount the bike slide the 2x6 under stand with my foot, and then dismount...great! after i get all 3 plugs out i then mount back up so the bike will be more upright, well as im sitting there holding the bike upright, i start looking around and thinking.......and here is what i came up with!! works like a charm.........

i kept the 2x6 under the stand and that holds the in the desired position, then the jack stands under the bag supports stableize it and keep it rock solid!!
just another solution for those looking!!!
Your joking right???

Old 08-25-2011, 07:32 PM
05rkstd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it starts to go, the bag rails will fold up like a cheap suit. You don't need a bike lift to change out the fluids. Could be the last thing you need. A shallow disposable turkey pan will work well, without risking dumping the bike. And the bike should be leaning on the sidestand. Your trying to re-invent the wheel with all that.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:39 PM
larry bart
Road Master
Received 289 Likes on 112 Posts

go to the Dealer and get that fancy black & orange low profile oil pan and it holds the waste oil for transport to the back yard I mean oil disposal station!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:41 PM
scottiebe
Advanced

hey thanks for the replies, i thought i had stubbled onto somthing! now realizing that the bike does not need to be upright as i had been told, that will make things so much easier next time! i may have put way to much into this, but this was my first time doing any service work, so im learning as i go! i got it all done (maybe the hard way) but did it myself and kept 300 bucks in my pocket that the dealer would have otherwise gotten!

Quick Reply: Jack in the way of fluid change?.....check this out! pics!