Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre M8

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 08:32 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Pre M8

I have to ask. Do you guys ever feel pressured to trade in your pre M8 bikes to upgrade to a newer model?

I ride a 2012 SG. My upgrades are listed in my signature. I love this "old" bike. I've had it long enough where I'm comfortable taking it apart and tinkering with it. Over the years, I learned the bike by making tons of mistakes and guys here helped me out. I've been stuck on the side of the road in west bubble **** on this bike but, eventually made it home. I've rode through hours of horrific rain and still love it. I remember when I originally bought the bike, I rode with some old guys, who handed my *** to me ( https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-old-guys.html). Before C took my dad, we rode our bikes, from NC to St. Louis so he could see his parents grave site. He passed shortly afterwards. I've had some good times and memories and not so good times on this bike. I've done a good amount of upgrades but I'm wondering if I should keep it or trade it in.

I was about to have my local mod shop do a 107 Big Bore Kit but I keep eyeing a 2018 RK at my local dealership. I told them to hold off until I make a final decision. What sucks is, despite all of my upgrades, the dealership isn't offering much for a 2012. The longer I keep it, the less it's worth. So that's my dilemma, should I keep it and keep upgrading it or just start over with a newer bike. The bigger issue is, absolutely nothing from my current bike will transfer to a newer bike. So, it's literally starting over from scratch.

So again, guys with pre M8's, do you feel the pressure to upgrade or are you content with your "old bike."

Sorry about the long thread, yes, I'm a talker and a thinker...

The following 2 users liked this post by kryingame:
lionsm13 (01-04-2020), mctraveler (01-04-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 08:36 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,620 Likes on 2,094 Posts

I've been riding the same Evo for 15 years. The new bikes don't do a thing or me.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:37 PM
Essthreetee
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts

I am “new” back into riding after about 15 years off. I rode an old Buell then and wish I still had it. My new venture back into riding again is in a 2007 SG and I lOVE IT!!! I don’t need to upgrade, in fact am on the lookout for a ‘96 FXD in green....so I guess I would say, no. I do not feel pressured to and do not want to upgrade.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:49 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

i had a 2013 cvo roadglide and loved that bike. i had it dialed in to where it was very comfortable for me and i really had no plans to do much else to it. i would still have that bike if i had not gotten rear ended and the bike totaled. with the insurance payout, i bought a 2019 roadglide special. and we traded in the wife's bike on a 2019 roadglide special for her. now, understand, we loved both of our bikes and had no plans to get anything newer. but i gotta tell you, these new bikes are far and away so much better than our 'old' bikes. i'm not glad to have gotten my *** run over, but i (we) have no regrets on getting the new bikes.

either way, you aren't gonna go wrong. and if you think starting over from scratch sucks, try it with 2 bikes..... ouch!

but i do have to add, only buy the new bike if you really want to. don't let anyone pressure you into anything. if you want it, get it. if you want to keep riding your old faithful steed, well, keep on keeping on.

Last edited by skratch; 01-03-2020 at 08:51 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by skratch:
04ctd (01-16-2020), cajun1957a (01-04-2020), mctraveler (01-04-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 09:29 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

My 13 RGU "fits" me with the mods I've done. Wouldn't be worth much on trade and I have no desire to get rid of it. I added a 19 RKS to the garage for those rides when I want to get back to the basics of why I ride motorcycles. Now I'm looking at upgrading the motor on the 13 because the 19 is just so quick and smooth.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:32 PM
Gary1
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 131 Posts

It's worth more to keep, but buy a new bike if you got the cash to spend.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:04 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

No desire at all to "upgrade" to an m8. They don't do anything for me. Plus my current bike was my dad's when he passed away a little over 2 years ago, so its not going anywhere.

The following users liked this post:
Silent Glider (01-05-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 11:06 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,126 Likes on 1,531 Posts

I have both. 2002 RKC upgraded to a 94 CI and a 19 Ultra. I love riding both but the Ultra will run circles around the RKC. The RKC is easier to handle in tight turns but it's lighter with more weight down lower. I like the electronics of the Ultra but the RKC looks more like a real Harley.

It all depends on what YOU want?

Old 01-03-2020, 11:57 PM
Johnnypop
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

It really depends where you want to invest. A new bike is probably better but is it really that much better. My 10 limited I enjoy the cruise, bigger rear tire and being paid off. I’m looking at at least 15 to upgrade and that will put a lot into mine. In 3 years if I got a newer bike I would be at the same position as I’m at now. A Harley with a lot of miles that nobody wants. I try to work on my bike so all it cost is parts. What I paid for the bike and what it would trade for it has cost me 10 cent a mile to own.
A little of my story that may help you. Wish ya luck on a decision. I looked all fall at trading and decided to put money in mine. Every dollar I put in mine is lost money because nobody will want a high mileage bike.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:06 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
Do you guys ever feel pressured to trade in your pre M8 bikes to upgrade to a newer model? ...
...... no

Quick Reply: Pre M8