Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

highway peg mounting

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 02:38 PM
ARMY Vet
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default highway peg mounting

Hey guys, I hope this is not a dumb question. I have a 91 Fat Boy and an 08 SG. The Fatboy does not have a crash bar or highway pegs, the SG does. The other day my wife and I were riding and I had my legs up on the highway pegs. Well she pulls up along side of me and points at my pant legs. The wind was buffeting around the bottoms of the pant legs so bad that it was making the pants go up my legs almost to my knees. I have to keep reaching down to keep them pulled down or the draft up the pant leg gets real bad. On the floor boards it does not do this. We have tried different jeans (straight leg, etc) to no avail. I am sure it just has to do with how the pegs are mounted on the crash bar. How do you guys have them mounted? Low, high ? I am using HD pegs and brackets. Some pics would be appreciated. Please dont flame me for this question. P.S. the wife says thanks as well.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:50 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

http://stoneystraps.com/ Here you go. I have heard these work well and they look ok too. Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:52 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Now, I bet you look cute with your pants up to your knees. Just kidding with you.

I have seen some deals that are elastic bands that snap on your pant legs and go under your boots to keep the leg of your jeans pulled down.

If you don't want to move your highway pegs down this might be an option.

Chances are if you move your pegs you will leave a scratched up place on your crash bars were they were.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 1goindiesel
http://stoneystraps.com/ Here you go. I have heard these work well and they look ok too. Hope this helps.
Clever solution! :-)

Old 10-08-2008, 05:24 AM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup the straps work, there are several brands.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:30 AM
kwas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ARMY Vet
Hey guys, I hope this is not a dumb question. I have a 91 Fat Boy and an 08 SG. The Fatboy does not have a crash bar or highway pegs, the SG does. The other day my wife and I were riding and I had my legs up on the highway pegs. Well she pulls up along side of me and points at my pant legs. The wind was buffeting around the bottoms of the pant legs so bad that it was making the pants go up my legs almost to my knees. I have to keep reaching down to keep them pulled down or the draft up the pant leg gets real bad. On the floor boards it does not do this. We have tried different jeans (straight leg, etc) to no avail. I am sure it just has to do with how the pegs are mounted on the crash bar. How do you guys have them mounted? Low, high ? I am using HD pegs and brackets. Some pics would be appreciated. Please dont flame me for this question. P.S. the wife says thanks as well.
Those damn women causing trouble. Funny how all was cool til SHE pointed it out. I've never experienced this problem, but then my wife rides behind me.
Seriously tho, how high are yours mounted? Mine are almost a third up the crash bar and never had that happen.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:32 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ARMY Vet
There's always the straps others have suggested, but I just mount my pegs low enough that I can rest my heel on the floor board & my toe on the peg. Gives me the option of toes on the pegs, arch on the peg, or heel on the peg. Three foot positions & no pants leg problem.

On another note, if you've really done any skydiving you know there's no such thing as "a perfectly good airplane". Jump planes wear out at 4 times the average rate. But, you're right, it builds character & self confidence.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:35 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Excellent Floorboard foot-peg set up

This is a good thread on the subject. With numerous pics.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/136352-excellent-floorboard-footpeg-combo.html

Old 10-08-2008, 07:07 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts
Default another thread

Here another (not so good) thread on the subject.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...ighlight=socks

Old 10-08-2008, 07:10 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,930 Likes on 8,435 Posts

You didn't notice your trouser leg up to your knees? Obviously, you haven't riden in cold weather. I don't think jeans do that as easily as regular fabric or casual trousers do. I would think that if your pegs are up high enough so you look like you're on the OBGYN table, there isn't a lot you can do to keep the trouser legs at your ankles unless you use the booty straps or a velcro strap around your leg.

Quick Reply: highway peg mounting