Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dragonfly experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:36 PM
bohunter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down My dragonfly experience

I purchased an unpainted fairing and picked it up in Reno. I went to do the install on it and noticed that the inner fairing had scribe marks for gauges or speakers. This wouldn’t bother me too much except for the fact that I wasn’t planning to paint the bike until next spring. I know this wasn’t like this on other unpainted fairings sold in Reno. When I called Dragonfly to ask about this, I was told that’s normal and just color sand it down. BS, the scribe marks are too deep! During my install I noticed that duct tape was applied to the top radio, (water barrier?). Also purchased a 12 adapter and it just came with receptacle and no cover, cap or plug. With window trim installed it was flush on both ends with the top fairing compared to 3/16” in the middle, more sanding to be done. No bolts were included for the mounting brackets, had to purchase. I emailed them with pictures and nobody has contacted me back, been over a week. Has anybody else had this type of issues with a Dragonfly fairing? What were your experiences like? Bryn

Attached Thumbnails My dragonfly experience-scoremarks-and-12v.jpg   My dragonfly experience-duct-tape.jpg   My dragonfly experience-window-trim.jpg  
Old 10-12-2008, 07:38 PM
cabbage
Tourer

so your saying i should check out the Dead Center fairing?

Old 10-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hummm ...

Sorry to hear of the problem.

I would not have considered it normal unless I've ordered it that way, and the holes had better of been drilled though not just scribe into the gell coat.

So I guess that also means getting your normal amount that you paid for it, returned with out a 25% re-stocking fee is out of the question too?

Old 10-12-2008, 07:51 PM
bohunter
Intermediate
Default dragonfly

I'm not real happy after spending $1,700. System sounds great, but fairing looks like s**t. Bryn

Old 10-12-2008, 07:57 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,745 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Yeah, I'd return it. Thats BS. I'd also let them know that you have this post up here... You know, just in case they don't want to make things right.

lp

Old 10-12-2008, 08:00 PM
bohunter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ram
Hummm ...

Sorry to hear of the problem.

I would not have considered it normal unless I've ordered it that way, and the holes had better of been drilled though not just scribe into the gell coat.

So I guess that also means getting your normal amount that you paid for it, returned with out a 25% re-stocking fee is out of the question too?
I'm going to keep it, but now trying to get it painted sooner. I'm fabricating a plexiglass cover to fit on top of the radio so that I can remove the duct tape and the radio does not overheat. Then finish sanding the edges that they should of done. It's funny, I can see the scribe marks in the areas that need sanding. It appears the marks are there for final sanding to size. Just my guess, because they won't contact me.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:01 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

What a shame. I'm sorry to hear of your problems. I'm so very pleased with my Dead Center fairing that I wish there were some way I could express to you what wonderful customer service they've provided to me every time I either called or emailed them. If there is any way you could return it, I'm confident you'd be happy with Dead Center.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:21 PM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,688 Likes on 756 Posts

You may have gotten someone's "return".

Old 10-12-2008, 10:24 PM
dbianco
Cruiser
Default Dragonfly

I picked up my unpainted fairing at Holister this year and have been very happy. Mine also had the scribe marks on the inner fairing, you didn't get a returned fairing. I rode home and took the fairing off the bike and sent it to the painter, Dragonfly couldn't paint the fairing because I don't have stock HD Colors. I don't know what the duct tape on the radio was for, mine doesn't have it. If you have the extra cash, drill out the holes and put in a volt and oil tempature guage in. I think the total cost for guages and chrome bezels was less than $200. If you do go with the oil temp, don't install the sensor where HD tells you to, there is a much easier way to mount the the sensor, PM me and I'll let you know where I mounted the sensors. My 12 volt didn't have a plug cover either but I picked one up at HD. I did ask about the the cover when I picked mine up and they said that they stopped using the HD one because of cost. HD's is $29 and the one they put in is $6, and they are trying to save you some coin on the fairing.

Also, when I stopped by Reno HD and talked to Dragonfly, they said they were headed to Vegas for a trade show after Reno, maybe this is why you have not gotten any response, they might not be around the office right know.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:44 PM
bohunter
Intermediate
Default dragonfly

Originally Posted by dbianco
I picked up my unpainted fairing at Holister this year and have been very happy. Mine also had the scribe marks on the inner fairing, you didn't get a returned fairing. I rode home and took the fairing off the bike and sent it to the painter, Dragonfly couldn't paint the fairing because I don't have stock HD Colors. I don't know what the duct tape on the radio was for, mine doesn't have it. If you have the extra cash, drill out the holes and put in a volt and oil tempature guage in. I think the total cost for guages and chrome bezels was less than $200. If you do go with the oil temp, don't install the sensor where HD tells you to, there is a much easier way to mount the the sensor, PM me and I'll let you know where I mounted the sensors. My 12 volt didn't have a plug cover either but I picked one up at HD. I did ask about the the cover when I picked mine up and they said that they stopped using the HD one because of cost. HD's is $29 and the one they put in is $6, and they are trying to save you some coin on the fairing.

Also, when I stopped by Reno HD and talked to Dragonfly, they said they were headed to Vegas for a trade show after Reno, maybe this is why you have not gotten any response, they might not be around the office right know.
How did yours line up where the wind screen meet the fairing? Mine with or without chrome trim you can tell it's not cut straight. My brother also purchased an unpainted one in Reno and had it installed there. It does not have scribe marks and appears to be cut straight. I took mine home in the box to install on my son's Road King and wish I had inspected it there. I was charged $29 for the 12v plug and I would of rather had one with a cap or plug. What bugs me about the whole thing was, why scribe for gauges?

Quick Reply: My dragonfly experience