Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyway to make more room for 2up on RKC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:08 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Anyway to make more room for 2up on RKC?

We have an '09 RKC with the Sundowner seat and HD short sissy bar with passenger backrest, and Heritage handlebars.

I am about 290 lbs and my wife is about 200 lbs. The bike handles great with the both of us on it, of course with rear fully aired up. The problem is that my wife, even when sitting all the way against the backrest, still pushes me up too far to be comfortable. I feel like I am sitting on top of the tank.

Is there anyway, besides loosing weight/stomach, to get more comfortable? Maybe a kit that moves the passenger backrest back a little further? Any ideas???

Old 12-08-2008, 01:08 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

If it is her thighs that are pushing you into the tank, you might try some foot pegs or foot board extenders that will allow her to comfortably spread her legs out farther. If it is her upper body, just be thankful and learn to ride with it. Just sayin'.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:45 AM
tonyb42863
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. this is what i did. Where the sissy bar mounts into the
docking hardware.droped the mounts down to the next hole on the docking mount.
it leaned the sissy bar back a little.my wife is 160. we have not had any problem
by doing that.butt.Be sure you know what ypu are doing frist.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:54 AM
mrbuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you have a pipe bender you can put a little bend in the back rest uprights. i did this for my dads bike on both the rider and pass. rest. it just leans you back enough to be comfortable.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:05 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bamorris2
We have an '09 RKC with the Sundowner seat and HD short sissy bar with passenger backrest, and Heritage handlebars.

I am about 290 lbs and my wife is about 200 lbs. The bike handles great with the both of us on it, of course with rear fully aired up. The problem is that my wife, even when sitting all the way against the backrest, still pushes me up too far to be comfortable. I feel like I am sitting on top of the tank.

Is there anyway, besides loosing weight/stomach, to get more comfortable? Maybe a kit that moves the passenger backrest back a little further? Any ideas???
If it's detachable, you can drill new holes below the original on the bracket for the rear mounting points. Someone posted photos a while back, a search might find them. I did it by unbolting the docking point, then swinging the support bracket down so it was in between the two holes. Once they are marked and drilled, just bolt the docking points back on in the new holes. I had the same problem and this solved it quick, easy and free by slanting the backrest back a bit, feeing up some room.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:47 AM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. But I think they may have changed the mounting bracket for the 09 models. Here's a pic of the one that I have...

I don't see another hole. (the black dot is a reflection or something, but not a hole)....???...

Old 12-08-2008, 12:17 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bamorris2
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. But I think they may have changed the mounting bracket for the 09 models. Here's a pic of the one that I have...

I don't see another hole. (the black dot is a reflection or something, but not a hole)....???...
Still looks like you have plenty of room to add a hole ..............

Old 12-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a side cart?

Old 12-08-2008, 04:42 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put on a non detachable 4 channel luggage rack with a adjustable backrest http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 12-08-2008, 05:46 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Originally Posted by sportyrider1
I put on a non detachable 4 channel luggage rack with a adjustable backrest http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Does that provide more room than the detachable backrest?

Quick Reply: Anyway to make more room for 2up on RKC?