Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip ons exhaust leak ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Mike1397
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip ons exhaust leak ????

Just installed a set of Vance and Hines Oval slip ons on my '06 Road King, seems to be a small amount of exhaust leaking from the area of the clamps..I seated the new pipes as best I could without using a hammer!! Normal?? Something I did wrong?? Any input is appreciated!!

Old 04-11-2006, 01:35 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain
Default RE: Slip ons exhaust leak ????

Do you hear a leak or is something else leading you to believe you have an exhaust leak?

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 04-11-2006, 01:42 PM
TruBluUltra
Tourer

One thing to check is make sure that the mufflers are slid onto the pipes far enough so that you don't see any opening where the slotted muffler slides onto the pipe. The slots in the muffler which allows for clamping onto the pipe is the first area I'd check. I put V&H true duals on mine this past weekend....had problems getting the mufflers to slide on far enough to fully seal.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:45 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My SE slip ons were leaking and one was rattling. Replaced the Torca clamps and fixed it.[8D]

Old 04-11-2006, 02:10 PM
thesmithiz
Cruiser

When I did my V&H Turn Down slip ons the left side would get loose after a couple rides. I got down there to look under and noticed that I was sliding the clamp to far towards the muffler and it wouldn't close down tight ehough. I slid them to about 1/2" befor the split stops, making sure that it was slid all the way on the pipe, and then tightened them dowm havent had a problem since. It was hard to noticed unless you got down on your back to watch what you were doing.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:31 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

I installed my slip ons this past weekend. Before I removed the stock pipes, I took a look at the placement of the clamps on the stock pipes and put the slip ons back exactly the same way.
The clamp was flush with the front of the pipe opening, covering the split in the pipe. I've installed several sets this way and never had a problem with leaking exhaust.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
ORIGINAL: thesmithiz

When I did my V&H Turn Down slip ons the left side would get loose after a couple rides. I got down there to look under and noticed that I was sliding the clamp to far towards the muffler and it wouldn't close down tight ehough. I slid them to about 1/2" befor the split stops, making sure that it was slid all the way on the pipe, and then tightened them dowm havent had a problem since. It was hard to noticed unless you got down on your back to watch what you were doing.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:44 PM
CHIZ53
Novice

Throw the V&H clamps away and get the HD ones.

Chiz

Old 04-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Mike1397
Advanced

I can feel exhaust on my hands if i hold them near the clamps when the bike is running

Old 04-11-2006, 04:00 PM
notarheli
Cruiser

Although I haven't installed my slip-ons yet (hell, still waiting for the ride), I was wondering about possible leaks. Any reason why a small amount of hi-temp silicone couldn't be applied? If the slip-on was installed about 1 inch or so from full engagement, a small bead of silicone put on the slip-on at the end of the pipe, then slid on to proper engagement, this should seal the joint and yet, allow for future removal.

Barry

Old 04-11-2006, 04:12 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I assume my slip ons leak because of the discoloration fo the pipe in several places, the first being right where the slip on bolts on. They were like this when I got the bike, and I'm too lazy to fix em for now, but I'm gonna replace them with a full system. I love their sound, but don't know what kinda they are. They are cone slah cuts, but there isnt any markings on them that is visible. Maybe Ill find out when I remove them.

Quick Reply: Slip ons exhaust leak ????