Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank Bra

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:36 AM
jdoug
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tank Bra

I purchased a tank bra for my 07' Ultra. I thought I would install it myself. I have not figured out how to install the tank bra. Can anyone help me out?

JD

Old 02-21-2009, 11:59 AM
gregsworld
Tourer

Get ready to get lit up. The tank bra gets TONS of harrassment on this forum due to its tendency to scratch paint. I read so much about it in fact, that I pulled mine and replaced it with a tank filler piece instead (before the damage was done.) As for installation, both elastics feed under the tank and hook on the opposite side. Mess with it a bit and it should go on rather easily. In the meantime, expect some advice not to put it on at all...

Greg

Old 02-21-2009, 12:01 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Like this says

Attached Thumbnails Tank Bra-untitled.jpg  
Old 02-21-2009, 12:03 PM
gregsworld
Tourer

Here's a picture of mine before I replaced it. This may help a bit.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:05 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master

Jdoug,
Sorry to tell you but gregsworld has a point. Any bra can be tough on the paint, especially if it's dusty where you live.
You'll need to keep it very clean and remove it fairly often for a thorough clean and re-waxing of the paint.
As to installation, try your wife's hair blow dryer. Heating it up will help it stretch.
Remember, wax the tank first!

Old 02-21-2009, 12:40 PM
jdoug
Novice
Thumbs up Tank bra

The information on the installation of the tank bra now has me wondering if I should install it or just wipe my behind with it. I sure do not want any problems with scuffing up my paint job. This is something they don't tell you when you purchase the tank bra, but it is good that someone on this forum will let you know.

Thanks, JD

Old 02-21-2009, 01:37 PM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use it. I placed 3M clear plastic sheets where the bra edges come into contact w/ the paint. No problems.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:24 PM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Bras are for old *****....I'm just sayin

Old 02-21-2009, 02:33 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

I had a tank bra on my '07 and if you follow the instructions that come with it, you shouldn't have any problems. Definitely wax (couple of coats) the tank before you put the bra on and whenever you wash the bike, remove the bra so that you can clean thoroughly without the bra interfering.

For my '09 coming soon, I'm going to do 3M Clear Bra on the back half of the tank (where pants or chaps will rub occassionally) to keep the tank paint in good shape. A buddy of mine just had the nose of his Porsche 996 Turbo (GT2 front end) done up, and and the guy who did the job did an incredible job with all of the complex curves and angles, so he's already prepped up and ready to do the job, once the bike is in my possession.

It is it late March / early April yet?

Old 02-21-2009, 03:19 PM
capt775
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the tank bra and the fairing bra on my Ultra. Can't see any scratches under them. If there is, I guess I'll see 'em when I replace the bras, but then, they'll be covered up again, so no big deal.

Quick Reply: Tank Bra