Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Oil In All 3 Holes, How Difficult Is It?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:40 PM
tencrore
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Oil In All 3 Holes, How Difficult Is It?

I am about to take my 08 Road King in for it's first oil change and the dealer will be charging me about $160.00 to change the oil in all three holes. This money could be used towards the purchase of a J&S Jack that I really need to get. My question is: How difficult is it to change the oil in all three holes? I can manage an oil change in my vehicles and have done minor work on them as well. I do have the service manual. If any of you all know of a tutorial or link you can recommend, that would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:47 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

There's alot involved with the first service at 1000 miles. Oil in all 3 holes is just a part. Your best bet is to do it yourself. Keep your receipts for the oils, filter and o-rings and a log of service work completed. The job itself is very simple, so simple the Geico caveman could do it.

Last edited by ezriderpgh; 03-20-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:54 PM
MickeyB
Intermediate

I felt the same way. I like doing most of the maintenance myself and they charged the same $150-160 just for the labor. I believe they also adjust the clutch, belt, etc. But still, I think I will spring for the service manual and do it myself. Although, the Syn 3 oil was $12.00 qt and my beast takes 7 quarts total.

The dealer said to get it serviced again at 2500 miles yet the owners manual says 5000 mi. What do you experienced guys do?

Mike

My salesman gave me a $90.00 off coupon so I felt that was a pretty good deal. The 1000 mi. service ended up being $150.00...

Last edited by MickeyB; 03-20-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:59 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always changed my own oil and done all of my own work. The maintenance manual will walk you through all the steps....it is pretty easy.....even adjusting the clutch is easy.......just do it.....if you run in to issues log on and ask them here....somebody will answer them pretty fast that is what we are here for.....

Old 03-20-2009, 11:02 PM
XfasteddieX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the best tutorial you can have is the service manual. its prety straight forward. & use some good oil moble 1 is the best imo . syn 3 i wouldnt use im my lawn mower

Old 03-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Lass7711
Tourer

I did my 1000 mile change today at 915 miles. I bought Harley filters online, picked the oil I wanted to use, and did it myself. The hardest part is changing the filter without making a mess. I haven't figured out a way to keep from spilling at least a little oil on the bike. I'll take it to the dealer for the rest of the 1000 mile checkup items.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:09 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lass7711
I did my 1000 mile change today at 915 miles. I bought Harley filters online, picked the oil I wanted to use, and did it myself. The hardest part is changing the filter without making a mess. I haven't figured out a way to keep from spilling at least a little oil on the bike. I'll take it to the dealer for the rest of the 1000 mile checkup items.
You can do the remainder of the 1000 mile service yourself, have faith. Best way to keep the oil off the bike is to use an empty 2 liter bottle, cut the bottom off then slice it in half lengthwise, slide it under the filter, the oil runs thru into your pan!

Old 03-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Hoffy
Road Master

Lots of people run into trouble with the torx screws on the derby cover by stripping them. Make sure you use a T-27 torx and an impact driver, than they will come right out and wont strip. Use a torque wrench in inch pounds for the re-install of the derby cover so you dont over tighten them.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:49 PM
bdaug50
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
You can do the remainder of the 1000 mile service yourself, have faith. Best way to keep the oil off the bike is to use an empty 2 liter bottle, cut the bottom off then slice it in half lengthwise, slide it under the filter, the oil runs thru into your pan!
THANK YOU!!!!!!

I've changed my own oils several times and have had the best luck with a plastic bag over the oil filter to reduce the mess I make. I then clean the area after everything is back together with brake cleaner. I never even thought about using a 2 liter to redirect the mess into the catch pan where the mess is supposed to be. Thanks again.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Hoffy
Road Master

Originally Posted by bdaug50
THANK YOU!!!!!!

I've changed my own oils several times and have had the best luck with a plastic bag over the oil filter to reduce the mess I make. I then clean the area after everything is back together with brake cleaner. I never even thought about using a 2 liter to redirect the mess into the catch pan where the mess is supposed to be. Thanks again.
Dont spray brake cleaner on the front motor mount ruber, it will break the rubber down real fast. Spray with simple green or something similiar and wash with water.

Quick Reply: Changing Oil In All 3 Holes, How Difficult Is It?