Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Question Regarding Primary Fluid Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:32 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default A Question Regarding Primary Fluid Capacity

I'm running Redline V-Twin Primary Fluid (aka MTL). The 2009 touring models spec 38oz (1qt + 6oz) for the primary. When I drained the old stuff out, I poured 1qt of new stuff in, and called it a day... That was about 2500 miles ago... Last night I took off the derby cover to check the level. With the bike upright, the oil level is slightly higher than the bottom of the clutch pack.

So my question is, how can that be if I only put in 32oz instead of the suggested 38oz?? And what is correct, 38oz or to the bottom of the clutch pack. Should I syphon a little out so that the level is at the very bottom of the clutch pack?

The reason that I wanted to check the fluid level is because lately I've been noticing an odd shifing feel when downshifting into 1st gear (not from nuetral though)...kinda like it wants to grind, but doesn't.

The clutch is adjusted pefectely, both at the basket and the barrel adjustment. The transmission fluid is also at a perfect level (RL Shockproof Heavy).

So the last thing I looked at was the primary fluid, and I found as described above...

Old 03-27-2009, 06:36 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The question I have is why would you put in one quart, 32 oz (knowing that the book calls for 38 oz) and call it a "day" and then ride it for 2500 miles?????

I hope you're not the local dealer's mechanic..

Sum'pin don't sound right.. I also use Red Line Primary and measured out the extra couple of oz when I do my changes. I haven't had any problems afterwards. Remember when you drain it, you don't ever get all of it, so maybe you still need 4-5 more ounces there.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:39 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'02 RKC here and service manual specifies 32 ounces. Level sits right at quad ring/groove. Do '09's hold more then?

Old 03-27-2009, 06:40 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Originally Posted by RODEO
The question I have is why would you put in one quart, 32 oz (knowing that the book calls for 38 oz) and call it a "day" and then ride it for 2500 miles?????

I hope you're not the local dealer's mechanic..

Sum'pin don't sound right.. I also use Red Line Primary and measured out the extra couple of oz when I do my changes. I haven't had any problems afterwards.

The reason that I only put 32oz to begin with was because (1) everyone and their mother on this site said that the proper level is at the bottom of the clutch pack; and (2) because when I spoke to the Service Manager before I did the change, he said that they only put 1qt in all models, including the 09's.

And the reason that I just now checked the level is because, like I said, the shifting seems to be changing...

So my question is, should I put the whole 38oz, even if that puts the fluid level half way up the clutch basket? The manual is very clear that overfilling can cause problems, but makes no mention of underfilling.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:41 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Originally Posted by kromdom
'02 RKC here and service manual specifies 32 ounces. Level sits right at quad ring/groove. Do '09's hold more then?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with what the "quad ring/groove" is. Can you explain, or any pics? Thanks!

Oh, and yes, the 09's do have increased capacity, 38oz.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:42 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't know, something doesnt add up. I put in 38 oz and it was then at the proper level on my 09. When in doubt, I'd defer to "the book" that HD gave you with your new bike.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:48 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master

Originally Posted by RODEO
I don't know, something doesnt add up. I put in 38 oz and it was then at the proper level on my 09. When in doubt, I'd defer to "the book" that HD gave you with your new bike.

Thanks. One more Q for you...when you say that 38oz put it at the "proper level", what "proper level" are you referring to? Did the 38oz put it to the bottom of the clutch basket? Just want to be sure... Thanks again.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:49 PM
TheBagger
Road Master

Was your bike sitting level when you drained it? Maybe you didn't get all the oil out.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:52 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

when i change the primary fluid on my 07, it calls for 38 oz as well. i put in a full qt, and then measure out 6 oz from another bottle. with the bike on the jiffy stand, it will not leak out, and the level is just above the ring gear on the clutch pack (as per spec)

are you changing the oil properly? ie. does the manual specify on the jiffy stand, straight up, etc? i don't know about the 09s, but i do know my 07 and this works for me.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:58 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bamorris2
Sorry, I'm not familiar with what the "quad ring/groove" is. Can you explain, or any pics? Thanks!

Oh, and yes, the 09's do have increased capacity, 38oz.

Don't have an e-copy of the manual, sorry. With the clutch inspection cover removed, pic shows the fluid level barely touching the bottom lip of the opening (where the quad ring/groove is found). Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: A Question Regarding Primary Fluid Capacity