Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update #6--Paint Project--Bike Assembled

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Update #6--Paint Project--Bike Assembled

Bike is assembled and I rode it today for the first time. Used my phone's camera for the pictures so they aren't great, and I forgot to take a pic from the front. I'll explain the color, assembly, etc., but first somes pics:

http://

The inner fairing with Hog Pod and painted fairing mirrors:

Rear of the bike with Milwaukee Bagger detachable rack:

Better pics will get taken and posted, but for comparison purposes, this is what the bike looked like a couple of months ago:

The bike hasn't been polished and buffed yet, and the painter still has additional parts to paint (fairing lowers, Mutazu tour pak, tour pak spoiler, and spare outer fairing) because we ran out of House of Kolor Kandy Red Concentrate when painting last week-end.

Also, an HD Deuce gas tank "Harley Davidson" script stencil didn't arrive in time, so the tank will be painted and cleared for that as well.

The color is candy red pearl and was done with a silver base coat, two coats of the HOK Kandy Red, a coat of PPG Vibrance Candy Red Pearl top coat, and two coats of clear. It's spectacular to my eye and the friends that have seen it. The PPG Vibrance has some "flop" to it, so the color is affected by the angle of view and light--quite a change from the birch white it had. The pics don't do this color anything close to justice.

My absolute favorite aspect of the paint job is the inner fairing; it's fantastic and I get to see it all the time that I'm riding. The tour pak won't be on the bike much ('cause I prefer to ride with the solo seat and no tour pak), but it turned out great with the color-matched Ultra light bar (so the effort to remove it, etc.) was well worth the outcome. And the Milwuakee Bagger detachable tour pak rack that uses the forward docking points is a nice piece, and I won't need HD's chrome hoops on the back of the bike for the Tour Pak when riding two-up. The HD tour pak spolier LED will get installed on the lid after a bit of TLC by the painter.

My original plan to use an RK Custom front fender with the rivets removed got sidetracked when my good bud Pirateeye on HDF, (a/k/a Kevin from Head-Quarters), took a new job and had little time to work on the fender. So I bought an RWD front fender from Eastern Performance Cycles and am very pleased with it.

My original plan to have a paint design similar to the 2004 and 2005 SE Electra Glide (primary color and secondary color separated by striping) went by the boards because the painter's friend and accomplished painter in his own right showed up last Saturday with the HOK Kandy Red Concentrate. The concentrate created a darker shade of candy red that wouldn't work with the secondary color I'd planned to use and, rather than improvise with an alternate secondary color/striping, decided to go with a single color for now, put the bike together and ride it, and decide what to do with a secondary color/striping later.

Here are a couple of pics of the parts in the booth with Brandon and Mike:

And this is the painter, Brandon Jones, mixing paint in the mix booth adjacent to the paint booth:

Not quite done yet, but near enough to know I'm going to really enjoy the new paint, chrome lowers, etc. And the experience of taking the bike apart, prepping the parts for paint, being with Brandon and Mike for the entire shoot, reassembling the bike, and, finally, getting to ride the bike and show it to friends, has been a blast.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 01-16-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:10 PM
ranger fan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love that red! Looks good man!

Old 05-07-2009, 07:15 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

That thing is sweet! Gonna leave the wheels or you doing something there too?

Old 05-07-2009, 07:20 PM
ElectraDave
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Nice post and enjoyed the pics. Congrats on a great looking paint job with a cool color!

Old 05-07-2009, 07:22 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Carl,

looking good -- I love that color it really pops --- I can't believe it's the same bike.

I'll see you on the summer circuit

Old 05-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks, guys. Dawg, my next purchase will be the Mustang solo with rider backrest. I'll probably get some chrome wagon wheels in the future and chrome the brake calipers, but frankly, so little of the wheels show on these bikes I'm not very highly motivated to do it. But, as usually happens, time will go by and I'll want to do something on the bike, and eventually the wheels will be chromed. In the meantime, I'm satisfied with the silver RG wheels and silver calipers.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:41 PM
mhenning
Advanced

Thanks for the updates. Your bike turned out GREAT! Love the color.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:44 PM
youngrider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sweet!! I have been waiting to see it.....the color is very nice,and even better in person im sure

Old 05-07-2009, 07:49 PM
frittsk
Tourer

Holy Cow Pingman,

That is awesome!

Old 05-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Towboater07
Tourer

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Update #6--Paint Project--Bike Assembled