Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you turn off alarm without the fob

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:29 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you turn off alarm without the fob

it happened again today at my monthly hog meeting my alarm wont deactivate
in there parking lot not sure what the problem is it onlys happens there it took me
5 minutes to get the key fob to work any ideas i am stumped i know there is a way
to disarm it with the turn signals can someone remind me how??-ride safe

Old 06-07-2009, 05:45 PM
robfaulkner
Cruiser

If its the same as my 07 FLHTC, turn ignition on, hold both turn signal switches in for 2 seconds. Dashes appear in odometer. Touch left switch enough times to enter first number in your PIN, then right switch once. Second dash should be flashing, then use left one again till correct number appears, then touch right one. And so on till all 5 PIN digits are entered. I do hope you remember your PIN. Otherwise, if you haven't set it, the factory default is 11111, I believe. Good luck! It's all in the Owner's Manual.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:57 PM
hcubed
Advanced
Default Disarming your security system with a PIN.

You can disarm it if you have a PIN.

You should record your PIN it on your wallet card (found in the back of the owner's manual) for future reference.

The factory entered PIN can be displayed and changed by following the steps found in your owner's manual. You can change this PIN to something more easily remembered should you desire. This is also covered in your owner's manual.

To disarm the system using your PIN, simply follow these steps:

Don't turn the handle bars, don't raise the bike from the kickstand, and don't move the bike in any manner from the start to finish of this process.

1. Turn ignition key to "Ignition".

2. Quickly (within 2 seconds of turning ignition key) hold both turn signal switches in until confirmation.

3. Enter the first digit of the PIN by pressing left switch until it is displayed. (If the first number is a five, press the switch five times. In other words, a "four" requires four presses of the switch, a "nine" requires nine presses of the switch, etc.) Don't get in a hurry.

4. Press right switch 1 time. This enters the number in memory.

5. Enter the second digit of the PIN by pressing left switch until it is displayed.

6. Press right switch 1 time.

7. Enter the third digit of the PIN by pressing left switch until it is displayed.

8. Press right switch 1 time.

9. Enter the fourth digit of the PIN by pressing left switch until it is displayed.

10. Press right switch 1 time.

11. Enter the fifth digit of the PIN by pressing the left switch until it is displayed.

12. Press the right switch 1 time.

The security system is now disarmed.
If you screw up, start over.

This procedure (in much greater detail) can be found in your owner's manual.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:01 PM
AUSTEX RKC
Advanced

Thanks for the info I was not aware of the pin feature until reading this tread.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:01 PM
DrQ
Road Master

Hate the Fob, had it on my Sportster, nixed it on the RKC.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:08 AM
DannoCentralMd
2nd Gear

Does this work on button type fobs on a 2001?

Old 12-24-2016, 08:52 AM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

if there is power lines above or very near it will cause problems with the alarm

Old 12-24-2016, 08:58 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Robtarra39
if there is power lines above or very near it will cause problems with the alarm
You always "read" about this.

But I have yet to ever experience it, or have I ever seen it happen to anyone else.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I've had Harleys with the factory alarm system since 2003 and never had problems of any sort. Change the battery at regular intervals. The fob is called a 'fob' for a good reason, so keep it on ya key! It's too easy to be true....

Gary, read your owners manual! If you don't have one you can download one from the H-D website, go to the Owners tab.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:21 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
You always "read" about this.

But I have yet to ever experience it, or have I ever seen it happen to anyone else.

a strong source of radio frequency can cause the alarm and fob not to find each other.
..as you know from your am radio, power lines often radiate rf- this can also happen in a home circuit where the neutral breaks and the power is diverted to ground to complete the circuit*

other sources of RF may be the mobil speed pass transponder at the gas pump- or a bunch of other similar devices nearby- like Harley's in a parking lot- they are all at similar frequency

the cure is to push 50 feet.

the oddest one ever was riding my alarm equipped 09 FLHTC next to my Pal's 2011 FLHTK at 65 mph and his alarm started chirping...the bike didn;t shut down or anything, just started chirping...I dropped back and it stopped and never happened again ( we have over 10,000 miles riding together)

radio interference is always funny- like if your 2.4ghz phone cuts out everytime someone puts soup in the microwave

mike

*AC power running through power lines is a sine wave ( 60 cycles in NA, 50 cycles most other places) which can radiate an electrical field, like RF...in a normal cord like for your lamp, ext cord or house wiring, the Hot takes power to the device, and next to that is the neutral wire returning power.

the 2 sine waves in the 2 wires act to cancel each other out there is a net zero result.

IF there is a break in the neutral and power has to flow down the ground- the sine wave isn't cancelled out and devices sensitive to RF may react to the field.
light dimmers can also do this as they may bleed off power to ground, rather than return it through the neutral.

electric guitar players will have experienced the result of RF on a Strat or tele- Gibson started using "Hum-Buckers" in 1957...which use 2 pickup coils out-of phase to cancel out rf field hum

when setting up sound and guitar amp systems in arena I often use a device to detect the source of RF ( and repair) so we can reduce hums and noise

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-24-2016 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: how do you turn off alarm without the fob