Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Driver's Backrest Input Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Conehead
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 09 Driver's Backrest Input Needed!

I have got an 09 Ultra and have read all of the threads I can find but can't seem to find anyone that has a Sundowner with a backrest. My question is is there anybody out there with an 09 Sundowner with a driver's backrest? Will I have to go back to my stock seat so the post does not stick up and look goofy? Will the mustang work? Anybody got a pic of the sundowner with the backrest installed? Thanks in Advance!

Old 06-20-2009, 09:33 AM
crfranklin65
Tourer

I have the Reach with a backrest. It is shaped similar to Sundowner. I also have the stock Street Glide seat.

The Harley back rest works with all of them. The post comes down from the back rest - not up from the frame so nothing will be sticking out when you take the back rest off with a Sundowner seat.

Last edited by crfranklin65; 06-20-2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: left word out
Old 06-20-2009, 09:37 AM
crfranklin65
Tourer

I would double check with Mustang but my recollection when I tried a Mustang is that the Mustang back rest will work with the Harley's frame mount back rest holder.

Be sure you tell them what year model and style of backrest holder you have.

I have the Harley back rest that does not say adjustable but it is and it works very similar to the Mustang one I tried. The adjustments just can't all be made on the fly, however I like the fact that it swivels and moves with the angle of my back.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:38 AM
supahflid
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Sundowner with the backrest. I am not sure what you mean by post sticking up. The bracket that holds the backrest on is well below the seat on mine; however, you will have to move the bracket back to the third or fourth slot to make the backrest fit.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:45 AM
willie37
Cruiser
Talking

I also have a 09 ultra with a sundowner seat and the factory remote adjustable back rest and it fits the same as the stock seat. Nothing had to be done to mount the sundowner on my bike. Only the 08 and 09 sundowner seat fits. I also had the passenger seat removed from the sundowner and had the stock passenger seat installed and the stock seat cover. That way i have the sundowner for me and my wife has the stock seat for her.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:47 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a 09 Ultra with the Sundowner saddle and adjustable backrest. The backrest sits about 1 to 2 inches above the saddle. With the stock saddle there was no space between. It doesn't look bad and works very well, I can't post pictures here, every time I try I get an error message, PM me and I will send they directly,

Be Safe JIM

Old 06-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Cheeze
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here....i did have the sundowner with adjustable backrest but I didnt like the metal sticking up out of the seat. Not to mention the cable that runs out of the backrest scratched my paint on the rear fender "which is vivid black" Try buffing that out! I dumped it all and bought a Mustang seat and couldnt he happier. The driver backrest is built into the seat and the metal that you see is chrome. Not to mention the Mustang is more comfortable.....thats my two cents.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:57 AM
cropsure
Cruiser

I have this exact setup for sale if you are interested. Just PM me. Only 6 months old.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Conehead
Road Captain

Thanks for the responses, I had heard that the backrest post is visible when mounted in the sundowner and that was my concern. Anybody know if the mustang backrest sticks far enough into the seat that the post does not show? I should have explained more, I was not referring to the mounting bracket under the seat, I meant the post on the backrest showing above the seat. PM's sent to HDJIM1158 & Cropsure.

Last edited by Conehead; 06-20-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:48 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

09 rg with sundowner and non adj. hd backrest. works great

Attached Thumbnails 09 Driver's Backrest Input Needed!-dscf0106.jpg  

Quick Reply: 09 Driver's Backrest Input Needed!