Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knees are scratching my tank.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:58 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts
Default Knees are scratching my tank.

Washed my bike the other day and found the scratches where my knees rest. I don't actually rest my knees on the tank, but about two inches away. What I found is my jeans flapping in the wind when I'm on the highway is causing the scratches. I'm going to get the 3M film installed on that part of the tank, but I need advice on how to removes the scratches first. These are not deep scratches, but noticable compared to the rest of the tank.

Beary

Old 08-04-2009, 11:00 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Floorboard extensions.......

Old 08-04-2009, 11:01 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i had the same problem, then i put floorboard extenders on, not a problem any more. the harley scratch and squirrel remover. actually its swirl remover, but it's great stuff. be sure to wax it after using it though. it does what it's supposed to do. removes scratches. my 08 sg is vivid black also, and stays pristine because of the floorboard extenders. it allows the knees to sit away from the tank a bit.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:05 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have the same issue on my dyna i got some stuff from mequires called Scratch X2.0 and buff it out by hand and it looked better that the day i picked it up. I buffed out all my tins and the tank area two or three times and then put two coats of good mequires wax on and DAM it was shinning and couldn't tell anymore.

Since then we have used the same stuff on two friends black harleys and it brought them back to life as well.

Last edited by OhioSkully; 08-04-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on the floorboard extenders. I had the same issue on my 09 SG and installed the floorboard extenders and cleaned and waxed the tank and now its a lot better, plus the extenders really do make it a better seating position.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda67bnl
Floorboard extensions.......

Old 08-04-2009, 11:54 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioSkully
i have the same issue on my dyna i got some stuff from mequires called Scratch X2.0 and buff it out by hand and it looked better that the day i picked it up. I buffed out all my tins and the tank area two or three times and then put two coats of good mequires wax on and DAM it was shinning and couldn't tell anymore.

Since then we have used the same stuff on two friends black harleys and it brought them back to life as well.

Great stuff

Old 08-04-2009, 12:09 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the exact same problem. My tank would get scratched up from my knees in a matter of a few days. I ordered the HarleyGoodies extenders soley for this problem. Little did I know the comfort benefits that came with installing them. No more scratched tank, and a more comfortable riding position.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If swirl remover and hand rubbing (the paint, that is) doesn't work you'll need a buffer at slow speed and a light touch. I've used 3M 3000 grit compound with fantastic results. Don't forget to re-seal and wax afterward.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:51 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

You guys are great thanks. I have skipped the extensions in the past because I scrap now and then. But i just may need to make the sacrifice.

Do I need to buff the whole tank or can I just buff the area that is scratched.

Thanks again

Beary

Quick Reply: Knees are scratching my tank.