Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handle bars breaking ? Internal Wiring problems ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Handle bars breaking ? Internal Wiring problems ??

Just doing a little homework here and asking this question....

Have you OR do you know of anyone who is running internal wires in their handle bars and have had them BREAK where the bottom hole is????

I will expand more on this later.... Just getting this question out there to see if anyone has ever had thiers "Break"

Thanks..

And IF you did have a set break... How did it happen and what did it feel like and did it pose a danger at that moment???

Old 08-17-2009, 11:52 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HD came out with a suggestion that we use a solid one piece riser top clamp when installing most of their custom catalog bars.

The unstated reason was that they tend to break or crack between the risers where the holes are drilled/milled for internal wiring.

It just so happens that HD makes all those one piece riser top clamps at a very reasonable cost.....hum............

Yeah, it's known by HD that most HD single wall custom bars are weak in the area between the risers and will either break or crack at the elongated internal wiring slot. I suggest you shop Wild1 or other QUALTY bar makers for custom bars, AND install the HD one piece riser top clamp designed to fit your scoot.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:53 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I have had Wild1 for several years and wanted to try something different... I have read here that Flanders offered a nice pull back for the ..FLH bikes... Called and talked to "John" I ordered a set and had them powdered coated Black - their web site has those bars with internal wiring and stock - external.. I talked to John and ordered the internal.. Got them today and they look nice and compared to the wild1 575 - they looked like they will be perfect. I already had my 575's off and was ready to work on the Flanders... looked at the top holes and bottom hole... WTF !!!!! I called Flanders and talked to John.. the bottom hole was WAY TOO Small.. John stated that the hole is the size the THEY felt was safest.... I said, these bars are sold as FLHT bars and for internal wires and NO WAY in hell would both right and left wires would fit... He said that I could make the hole bigger but at my own risk??? I did a mearsurment and told him that Wild one at the bottom that was the same 1" bar as his had a much bigger hole and he said other companies had breakage problems?????????? I repeated that no way would their bar work as made and he just repeated himself - SO, I took the bar to my work shop and made the hole the bigger and now all is fine...

Even with Wild1 - they state you SHOULD always use a one piece clamp... I found this out after 5 years and a two piece clamp on their baby apes on another bike... Never a problem...

SO< I will install these bars with the one piece clamp and just keep an eye (IF I can see under the bar to look for a crack????

Would love to hear from someone here that has actually had a bar break and how it felt or what happened and was it with a one piece clamp or a two piece clamp...

I am thinking with a one piece it should be just fine...

Bottom line,,, I like my flanders - they really need to put a note on their web site for the FLH bikes because of the large bundle of wires that need to be fed through..

Old 08-18-2009, 01:46 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by harley0711
I have had Wild1 for several years and wanted to try something different... I have read here that Flanders offered a nice pull back for the ..FLH bikes... Called and talked to "John" I ordered a set and had them powdered coated Black - their web site has those bars with internal wiring and stock - external.. I talked to John and ordered the internal.. Got them today and they look nice and compared to the wild1 575 - they looked like they will be perfect. I already had my 575's off and was ready to work on the Flanders... looked at the top holes and bottom hole... WTF !!!!! I called Flanders and talked to John.. the bottom hole was WAY TOO Small.. John stated that the hole is the size the THEY felt was safest.... I said, these bars are sold as FLHT bars and for internal wires and NO WAY in hell would both right and left wires would fit... He said that I could make the hole bigger but at my own risk??? I did a mearsurment and told him that Wild one at the bottom that was the same 1" bar as his had a much bigger hole and he said other companies had breakage problems?????????? I repeated that no way would their bar work as made and he just repeated himself - SO, I took the bar to my work shop and made the hole the bigger and now all is fine...

Even with Wild1 - they state you SHOULD always use a one piece clamp... I found this out after 5 years and a two piece clamp on their baby apes on another bike... Never a problem...

SO< I will install these bars with the one piece clamp and just keep an eye (IF I can see under the bar to look for a crack????

Would love to hear from someone here that has actually had a bar break and how it felt or what happened and was it with a one piece clamp or a two piece clamp...

I am thinking with a one piece it should be just fine...

Bottom line,,, I like my flanders - they really need to put a note on their web site for the FLH bikes because of the large bundle of wires that need to be fed through..

HD actually did a recall due to what they called "cracked" bars back in 07 or 08...the recall addressed mostly dyna's, if I recall. Bottom line is some of their bars were actually breaking and/or spinning in the risers on certain bikes.....HD simply called it cracking and left it at that.....the one piece top clamps went a long way toward fixing the problem