Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool Bag Storage on a Road King?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:29 PM
redsled
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tool Bag Storage on a Road King?

I've got a nice tool roll that I've carried on my Road King Custom ever since I bought it in 2004. The good news is this roll has never been called to duty by me - although it's come out on several occassions to help out others.

While doing a deep clean on my bike I noticed the roll was getting a little more daylight than I thought - it's worn a hole in the bottom of the fiberglass bag!

I don't want to put a leather tool roll below the headlight, or on the lower frame cradle. And I don't have rear crash bars around the bags to hang one off of. So I'm wondering - has anyone figured out a way to stash their tools under one of the side covers? I had those off this weekend and noticed there was some empty space there. Or any other ideas? Like having my tools - but not liking them wearing a hole in the bag - and padding them out will just make the roll bigger, takes up too much space.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:50 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Great Question

I needed a 1/2 wrench this weekend and hadn't figured out how to carry tools on the new bike. (Dealer didn't get the rubber bushing in correctly on the slip ons when they put the new ones on, wish I would have done it myself)

Someone should make something that will work.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:27 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

It shouldn't take too much padding to keep them from wearing through a fiberglass bag. I have a cordura roll and while it is showing some wear after many years of service, there's not even a mark from it in the bottom of the bags. To me the only way to wear through is if you have some metal exposed and rubbing the glass.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:40 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

That's a surprise! Been carrying a large tool bag in my saddlebag for almost 20 years. Must go and check. The bag I use is a Harley windshield toolroll in pretend leather.

Here in the UK where Harleys are not so common and with mostly US sized tools I know I will be on my own if I need any, so carry a substantial number. They won't fit anywhere else!