Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler/Temp Guage - Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 07:57 PM
PTAG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Cooler/Temp Guage - Need some help

Recently I had a 103/255 big bore kit installed on my 2009 Ultra. I decided to add a oil cooler and the in dash temp guage and had them installed by the dealer at my first oil change after the BB install. I normally do my own work but to have it warranty under the new bike warranty I had to have them do it. I just took the bike on a 1000 mile trip and the guage never register above 130 degrees max.

I have attached a picture from the instructions so you can see how it's hooked up. I will also refer to the numbers on the attached picture so you can help me figure out what's going on.

I rode 100 miles straight before getting home a few minutes ago. The oiler cooler (3) is hot to the touch. The solid hose WITHOUT the adapter is hot like you would expect. The other hose is split in two pieces, number 6 an 7 from the picture. 6 is hot and feels the same as the long hose WITHOUT the adapter. The shorter hose, number 5, is just barely warm.

I really don't know which way the oil flows out of the adapter, number 8, so it makes it a little harder to think through this. I suspect that I either have some blockage in the oil cooler (3) or the short hose (7). I guess it could also be the T-adapter 2.

I had called the dealer on Thursday after they installed this stuff and told them about the guage not working and they have ordered a new kit but I am not sure that is the problem. The guage kits are backordered until mid November so I was thinking about trying to figure this out on my own.

So, can anyone give me some suggestions on how you would troubleshoot this?

Attached Thumbnails Oil Cooler/Temp Guage - Need some help-oil.jpg  
Old 10-25-2009, 08:15 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not sure where the temp gauge sensor is but the oil coolers I've seen typically have a thermostat function that diverts the oil into the cooler once it exceeds a certain temperature. It is possible that your thermostat isn't working and that the oil is running through the cooler all the time. If the outdoor temperature is low enough the oil may not be getting that hot. (Just another possibility).

Old 10-25-2009, 08:22 PM
clutchglass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I know What Your Problem is

Yes sir...I know EXACTLY what your problem is...
I have a 2009 Ultra. I installed the premium oil cooler, and replaced my in dash air temp gauge with an in dash oil temperature gauge. A friend of mine showed me an article on here about the same issue you are having. I'm a hard head however (hope the ol' lady never reads I admitted that). Anyway I decided to follow the instructions instead of what is reccomended in the article....and I experienced that same problem you're having.
I then went back and installed the oil temp sensor where the article on here recomends it to be installed...in place of a hex keyed (allen wrench required for removal) plug at the front of the oil pan. The thing works GREAT now!
-clutch-
P.S. Check out this link...it's what I'm talking about: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-question.html

Originally Posted by PTAG
Recently I had a 103/255 big bore kit installed on my 2009 Ultra. I decided to add a oil cooler and the in dash temp guage and had them installed by the dealer at my first oil change after the BB install. I normally do my own work but to have it warranty under the new bike warranty I had to have them do it. I just took the bike on a 1000 mile trip and the guage never register above 130 degrees max.

I have attached a picture from the instructions so you can see how it's hooked up. I will also refer to the numbers on the attached picture so you can help me figure out what's going on.

I rode 100 miles straight before getting home a few minutes ago. The oiler cooler (3) is hot to the touch. The solid hose WITHOUT the adapter is hot like you would expect. The other hose is split in two pieces, number 6 an 7 from the picture. 6 is hot and feels the same as the long hose WITHOUT the adapter. The shorter hose, number 5, is just barely warm.

I really don't know which way the oil flows out of the adapter, number 8, so it makes it a little harder to think through this. I suspect that I either have some blockage in the oil cooler (3) or the short hose (7). I guess it could also be the T-adapter 2.

I had called the dealer on Thursday after they installed this stuff and told them about the guage not working and they have ordered a new kit but I am not sure that is the problem. The guage kits are backordered until mid November so I was thinking about trying to figure this out on my own.

So, can anyone give me some suggestions on how you would troubleshoot this?

Old 10-25-2009, 09:06 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

i did read somewhere that the Oil Temp gauge will not read correct oil temp unit oil will go through the thermostat if wired as per HD instructions. i think this is in the HD catalog somewhere. Yes , i agree, it will all depend to where u connect the temp sensor sending unit.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain

I dont understand what the problem is. I did this install a couple of months ago, I am pretty sure I followed the included instructions and used hole next to the drain hole (as pictured in the link you posted. There was no need to buy anything extra, there was reduction fitting included with my HD kit. Check your parts, you may alread have the fitting.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:00 PM
vindex1963
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 09 sending unit mounted in the oil pan. Reads good. I checked it with an infrared temp gun.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:38 AM
PTAG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by papifun
i did read somewhere that the Oil Temp gauge will not read correct oil temp unit oil will go through the thermostat if wired as per HD instructions. i think this is in the HD catalog somewhere. Yes , i agree, it will all depend to where u connect the temp sensor sending unit.

That's what I understand also. I will probably move it to the pan. But where it is now should work.

What I don't understand is why is the small hose (7 in the picture) not getting as hot as the other hoses? The oil cooler is getting hot. Maybe because it's so short I can't feel it as well?