Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low voltage on meter

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:52 PM
davidpisano
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low voltage on meter

My 91 Ultra Classic has problem. I notice my directional lights and brake lights were not working properly. I also noticed the voltage meter on dash was running below 12 volts. I hooked up battery charger, started bike and brought it up to 13 volts running. All the lights began to work properly. Is it the voltage regulator or problem with alternator. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 11-16-2009, 07:29 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Do a voltage test with a multi-meterto verify your voltage. !3.2-13.4v at idle and 14.2-14.v at around 2400 rpm's. Sounds like a voltage reg. but you should check the stator also.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:16 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the manual for your bike. It will show you how to test the alternator and regulator. If you don't understand the instructions in the book then ask here.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:20 PM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Get the manual and

Test. Before you buy any parts. A bad battery will sometimes play havoc with everything

Old 11-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Juve996
Road Captain

I'd start with a battery check as well. As mentioned above, it will give you a lot of grief. Have it load tested to make sure it can stand up to a hefty load. If that checks out, then go to the charging system.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:33 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,920 Likes on 8,432 Posts

+1 on checking the battery. If it is near four years old, that is a clue.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Harleyinnc
Cruiser

If you charge the battery and it hold the charge overnight, Then chances are it's your voltage regulator or stator. With the bike running your lights should be bright and working properly even if the battery is weak since it would be drawing from the charging system. Check where your voltage regulator plugs into the stator. Sometimes the plugs get alittle loose and arc out. If that happends you need to replace both. If you still have the original voltage regulator and stator on a 91 bike, It might be time to replace them both.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

My 95 also showed low voltage and for 2 years I chased it around. AS others have posted, search for charging sytem checks here on the forum. If everything including the battery check out, then pull your front fairing and check the connections on the main wiring harness. Yo 'll know which it is, it has three large red wires running to it and it goes from the left side of the fairng as you look into it to the right. It supplies the main power from the battery to the fuse panel. My connections were dirty and as a result if I played the radio and turned on the passing lights I got less than 12 volts on the guage. After cleaning the connections good and actually replacing one connection, all was back to 13.7 volts. I hope this helps.

I miss my old evo but love the new twinkie

Bubba

Old 11-18-2009, 06:43 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Back to --BUY A REPAIR MANUAL FOR YOUR SPECIFIC BIKE---it tells you how to check a/c voltage and d/c voltage. It gives you the voltage curve--highs and lows for rpm settings. It also tell you how to eliminate out your problems. Do you own a digital volt meter? Checking voltage with a battery charger is like checking oil by tipping the bike on it's side instead of using the dip stick.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

A manual is a great technical reference but who knows if his bike has been changed or tampered with or wiring altered. By all means the first tool one should buy is the service manual but sometimes a little experience from someone who has been there and done that may point him toward something and save him some time.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Bubba

Quick Reply: Low voltage on meter