Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D&D Fat Cat pics...w/ or w/o ghost pipe???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts
Default D&D Fat Cat pics...w/ or w/o ghost pipe???

I finally got around to installing my chrome, slash up D&D 2:1 Boss Fat Cat for my 2010 SE Ultra. Since I have engine upgrades, it was recommended by the shop that did the headwork (Hillside) that I get the big bore baffle.

I personally prefer the look of a touring bike with dual exhaust but I'm also open to new looks. I've also made the TP detachable, so the bike also sees alot of time in SG mode.

I'd be interested it what others think about leaving the ghost pipe on or off. I took pics both ways so feel free to comment on which "look" you prefer.

BTW, the bike sounds and rides awesome. I was previously running with stock exhaust with the catalytic converter removed and Fullsac 2.25" baffles. It sounded good before but it just sounds so much better now. It's ALOT louder, particularly with the big bore baffle. I know loud isn't everyone's cup-o-tea, but the bike just sounds great to me. Very deep sounding traditional "po-TA-to, po-TA-to" sound. Of course the sound is also driven by the hi-lift cam (.650) Woods 408-6.

I took the bike for a ride and it was so much stronger. The engine gained tremendously between 2-3000rpms and just seems to be able to whip through the entire rpm range at will. The ride was a very dramatic improvement and it's still running the map from the tune with the stock exhaust. The bike get's a new dyno tuning in Jan.

The install was very straight-forward and relatively easy. The only thing I found odd was the fact that all the hardware on the exhaust is SAE with the exception of the one bolt that's used to tighten the muffler to the headpipe. For some odd reason that bolt is metric. The chrome is very high quality and the fit is very precise. The exhaust header follows tightly to the frame of the bike for a very nice fit.

So let me know what you think after viewing the pics below. Here's some pics with the single 2:1 setup.

Attached Thumbnails D&D Fat Cat pics...w/ or w/o ghost pipe???-sany0256.jpg   D&D Fat Cat pics...w/ or w/o ghost pipe???-sany0259.jpg   D&D Fat Cat pics...w/ or w/o ghost pipe???-sany0257.jpg   D&D Fat Cat pics...w/ or w/o ghost pipe???-sany0250.jpg   D&D Fat Cat pics...w/ or w/o ghost pipe???-sany0254.jpg  

Last edited by Heatwave; 12-13-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

And here's the bike with the D&D ghost pipe installed 2:1+1. The install is very easy on the ghost. 2 bolts from the stock hanger and the factory bolts are used to fasten the other end of the ghost to the transmission for a nice fit. Beautiful chroming once again.

BTW, I got my entire D&D setup through Shawn at Dr. V-Twin. His price was the best by far.

Here's the pics with the ghost.

Attached Thumbnails D&D Fat Cat pics...w/ or w/o ghost pipe???-sany0272.jpg   D&D Fat Cat pics...w/ or w/o ghost pipe???-sany0267.jpg   D&D Fat Cat pics...w/ or w/o ghost pipe???-sany0275.jpg   D&D Fat Cat pics...w/ or w/o ghost pipe???-sany0273.jpg   D&D Fat Cat pics...w/ or w/o ghost pipe???-sany0276.jpg  

Last edited by Heatwave; 12-13-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:18 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Run it without!!!

The ghost pipe serves no functional purpose and is just added weight. Plus I think it looks bad because the ghost pipe never gets sooted up like the right side. Additionally, a 2-1 screams performance. I couldn't justify putting one on myself...

The following users liked this post:
UrbanRunner (01-18-2020)
Old 12-13-2009, 12:24 AM
MarineBagger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I like the dual look

I know it is fake, but something about a bagger with one pipe looks lop sided. And as for weight... seriously, it's a bagger. If you are trying to cut weight get a bobber. Just my 2 cents.

The following users liked this post:
Jaftica (01-19-2020)
Old 12-13-2009, 05:19 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

Glad you like the performance boost. IMO: ditch the ghost pipe. Dead weight. Show your 2-1 with pride.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:38 AM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good to me both ways but you are not fulling anybody with a gost pipe. it would be just looks both look very good!!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:23 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 309 Likes on 181 Posts

Here's my solution to the so called "lop sided" look. Love my Fatcat and btw, loose the Ghost Pipe lol.

Attached Thumbnails D&D Fat Cat pics...w/ or w/o ghost pipe???-17web.jpg  
Old 12-13-2009, 06:43 AM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Badbagger
Here's my solution to the so called "lop sided" look. Love my Fatcat and btw, loose the Ghost Pipe lol.
nice look!

Old 12-13-2009, 07:13 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks good either way, and in the end comes down to what makes you happy since it's your bike.

I personally wouldn't put a ghost pipe on, it's wasted weight, and I like the 2-1 look.......it screams performance. Sets the bike apart from the vast majority of baggers who all have 2 mufflers.

Steve

Old 12-13-2009, 07:22 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Quick Reply: D&D Fat Cat pics...w/ or w/o ghost pipe???