Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

black finned headbolt covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:11 PM
fatbob
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default black finned headbolt covers

I know this is not a "Hot New Part" from H-D, but I was always on the fence about the finned headbolt covers. Well, today I see a set on C/L for $20.00 and decide to but them, if I don't like them I'll resell 'em. I must say that the empty area by the spark plugs I really never paid attention too. But after installing these covers, I should have done these covers along time ago. It really seems to finish off the lift side of the heads.

Attached Thumbnails black finned headbolt covers-dsc04929.jpg   black finned headbolt covers-dsc04937.jpg  
Old 01-28-2010, 10:48 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree, the empty area by the spark plugs is not real good lookin'. I didn't put the finned type on my Road King, but I did put on the chrome style. It dresses up that side of the engine.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:42 PM
happyfeet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, you just helped me decide what to spend a gift card on.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:44 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the "Bridged Covers" myself.
Can't use them, though.
Compression releases prevent it.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:33 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbob
I know this is not a "Hot New Part" from H-D, but I was always on the fence about the finned headbolt covers. Well, today I see a set on C/L for $20.00 and decide to but them, if I don't like them I'll resell 'em. I must say that the empty area by the spark plugs I really never paid attention too. But after installing these covers, I should have done these covers along time ago. It really seems to finish off the lift side of the heads.

I like em!!! - so these are new? - I think it really finishes the look of the head. If you don't need the 20 bucks, keep em!

Old 01-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pics!! Love the look. I was on the fence about them. I have a gift card I know what to do with now as well

Thanks again!

Old 01-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

They do look good (better).

Old 01-29-2010, 11:50 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They are not a new product, been around some time now.
I was on a fence with these so my dealer allowed me to to set the chrome and black on to see what I liked.
Went with the black, a lot of folks use the chrome you know.
Easy install.
Are you saying you can not use these if you have the compression release?
That will suck if I have to remove them for the releases when I get around to finishing my build.

dd

Old 01-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How secure is the fastening method? I like the look but seems to me you can pluck them off with your hand with those set screws.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jags93
How secure is the fastening method? I like the look but seems to me you can pluck them off with your hand with those set screws.
No, you have 2 small parts that attach to the head bolts with small screws. You use a small allen wrench to attach them. It's slow to get them screwed down tight/correctly. As you're tightening, you're pressing down on the piece to make sure they stay in place and don't slip up a bit.

Then the finned parts screw onto those little parts. You have to use an allen wrench that comes with the kit(well, mine did) to attach the finned parts. Oh, and there is a "front" and "rear" labeled on each part.

This is about a 30 minute job to install everything right. I've had them on last 3 bikes I've owned with over 80K miles between the 3 and they have never come loose.

Believe me, if someone is going to steal them, it's going to take a few minutes to do.

Quick Reply: black finned headbolt covers