Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD oil temp gauge test reults

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Default HD oil temp gauge test reults

Just finished installing a HD oil temp gauge in the fairing of my SG. I took the bike for a test ride yesterday which consisted of combined highway and through town stop and go traffic. The ride took about 45 minutes.
The outside temperature was 50 degrees.
I have a digital dipstick which I know is accurate because I put it in hot water on my stove and compared it to a cooking thermometer. Both read the same temp.
So what I did was compare the dip stick reading to the in dash gauge and there was a consistant difference of 25 to 30 degrees. The indash gauge read cooler.
The hotest the bike ran was only 205 on the dip stick, guess because of the outside temp and the fact that the bike runs richer in winter.
I'm thinking that the in dash gauge may still be accurate since there can be a difference in oil temp depending on where the reading is taken from. The sensor for the in dash gauge is in the oil pan in the hole next to the drain plug.
In reading old threads on oil temps I would shake my head wondering how some of your bike run so much cooler than mine in the hotter months but I think I have found the answer, they have the in dash gauge.

Was wondering if my location synopsis is correct. Anybody know?

Old 03-07-2010, 10:59 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Good info. I was thinking of installing the oil gauage on the next oil change. I will keep in mind the temp difference.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:06 AM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very interseting.........

Old 03-07-2010, 11:30 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
Just finished installing a HD oil temp gauge in the fairing of my SG. I took the bike for a test ride yesterday which consisted of combined highway and through town stop and go traffic. The ride took about 45 minutes.
The outside temperature was 50 degrees.
I have a digital dipstick which I know is accurate because I put it in hot water on my stove and compared it to a cooking thermometer. Both read the same temp.
So what I did was compare the dip stick reading to the in dash gauge and there was a consistant difference of 25 to 30 degrees. The indash gauge read cooler.
The hotest the bike ran was only 205 on the dip stick, guess because of the outside temp and the fact that the bike runs richer in winter.
I'm thinking that the in dash gauge may still be accurate since there can be a difference in oil temp depending on where the reading is taken from. The sensor for the in dash gauge is in the oil pan in the hole next to the drain plug.
In reading old threads on oil temps I would shake my head wondering how some of your bike run so much cooler than mine in the hotter months but I think I have found the answer, they have the in dash gauge.

Was wondering if my location synopsis is correct. Anybody know?
That's really interesting. Last summer I purchased one of those oil coolers with an intergraded fan and was wondering where the best place would be to mount the sending unit that controls the fan. The options are the pan or just before the cooling unit. I guess that the ribs on the oil pan actually do work. Maybe I should mount the fan sending unit where the oil pressure sending unit it. I also have the dash temp gauge and the sending unit is at the pan as well.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Tom

Old 03-07-2010, 11:49 AM
ultrat
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the aoto zone one 40.00 its pretty spot on, sender in oil tank. reads same as dip stick one. or very close. 45 deg out & hiway ridding yesterday 220 deg oil have jag cooler w/ t stat 1/2 blocked by lowers but its the verticle one...

Old 03-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ultrat
I got the aoto zone one 40.00 its pretty spot on, sender in oil tank. reads same as dip stick one. or very close. 45 deg out & hiway ridding yesterday 220 deg oil have jag cooler w/ t stat 1/2 blocked by lowers but its the verticle one...
What does the auto zone gauge look like and how and where did you mount it?

Old 03-07-2010, 06:06 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
What does the auto zone gauge look like and how and where did you mount it?
yea we want to know and was it a kit or did you just piece it togeather

Old 03-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just wait until you ride in the rain! If you have the sending unit in the pan, it becomes very apparent how good the pan is at transfering heat, the oil temp will drop at 50 degrees or more. Realistically, the dipstick and the sending unit should sense the same temps as they are both measuring the oil temp in the pan. Might jst be a calibration issue with one or the other.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:17 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

25 degrees seems to be quite a difference? I can see if you have a sensor just before a cooler....or just after one, but still. 25 degrees off?
I have a dip stick type thermometer. I ride in Florida (gets warm in the summer) and I have never gotten to where I feel my engine is threatened.
At least you can tell your oil temp all the time (within 25 degrees). Mine? I check every
couple gas stops (It is pretty accurate in the morning also for air temp).

chuck the mensh

Old 03-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by themensh
25 degrees seems to be quite a difference? I can see if you have a sensor just before a cooler....or just after one, but still. 25 degrees off?
I have a dip stick type thermometer. I ride in Florida (gets warm in the summer) and I have never gotten to where I feel my engine is threatened.
At least you can tell your oil temp all the time (within 25 degrees). Mine? I check every
couple gas stops (It is pretty accurate in the morning also for air temp).

chuck the mensh
yep, your right the dipstick can give a prety accurate air temp prior to starting the bike.
BTW, no oil cooler on my bike.

Quick Reply: HD oil temp gauge test reults