Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAKING MY HARLEY HANDLE BETTER?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 04:38 PM
HBUSHA
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAKING MY HARLEY HANDLE BETTER?

i wanna make it more stable handling on interstate roads..... its completely stock.....winds make it feel like its floating .....any ideas would be appreciated

Old 08-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Xchief
Advanced
Default RE: MAKING MY HARLEY HANDLE BETTER?

If your ride doesn't have it already you may try the front plastic air defectors that go on the bat wing front cowl, just added them to my standard and it seems to make the front seem more planted at highway speeds IMHO.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:45 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the bike checked over by a pro. Mine sure does'nt feel like it is floating!

Old 08-14-2006, 04:52 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Put on a True-Track. It will lock that crappy rubber mounted swing arm and provide wobble free stability

Old 08-14-2006, 06:49 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

Mine has that floating/drifting feeling too,I'm getting used to it now,first bike i've owned that felt that way.I had the alignment check at the dealer,they say "normal" not problems found,but then again they always say it's normal

Old 08-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Boatman
Cruiser

Try different air pressures 36 to 38 front, 36 to 40 rear. Try a little more air in the shocks. These are something readily done. I have the lower fork baffle, side fairing air deflectors made by Kuryakyn (Dragonwings), True Track, and couldn't be happier.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

Mine feels the same when going 80 mph. Enough that 85 pmh is my limit on this bike. I have the adjustable wings installed but it still feels light and occasionally wobbles ever so slightly as if the wind is blowing sideways when it isn't. I just assumed the bike rode like this.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:46 AM
skid jackson
Cruiser

Your sig says 1995, I assume that is the bike you are riding. Has the suspension ever been serviced. If the forks and shocks have not been service since 1995, THATS the first thing you have to do. There is oil and bits and peices inside those forks that wear out and need servicing and replacement. Start there. everything else is a waste of money if nobody has been inside your forks and shocks since 1995. Probably won't solve the problem as i noticed my brand new 07 flht gets a little light feeling over 75. But it needs to be done. Would you run the motor since 95 w/out changing the oil???

Old 08-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Topper
Road Captain

I was getting a bit of drifting prior to adding the Metzler tires. Seems like the OEM Dunlops found every grove in the pavement and that really effected the ride. I can't praise the 880's enough, no more wobble at 80 mph, I can now do 100[sm=biker.gif].

Old 08-15-2006, 03:52 PM
4x4Given
Tourer

Watching with interest.

I've been riding for 37 of the last 40 years of my life and have had around 30 motorcycles. But, this is my first Harley. I worked for about 10 years in the motorcycle industry (Jap bikes) as a mechanic, service and part manager. I had a full race sponsorship for a year, racing Enduros and Quads. It would be accurate to say that I have quite a bit of experience with motorcycls with respect to handling, suspension geometry etc.

But, like I stated earlier, this is my first Harley and I now have a LOT to learn there.

I have a 95 FLHTCU and it has about 45K on the clock. A couple K miles ago it was serviced and had a factory remanufatcured engine installed, by Alamo HD. I bought it soon after the service and engine install (about 400 miles). I've noticed that it wanders and moves around a bit on the highway (55 - 75mph), though it never feels "light". I've also noticed that dips and moderate cornering at highway speeds, it will sometimes oscillate a bit. Not enough to really cause me concern, but certainly enought to get my attention.

Last night, I removed the rear caliper to clean it and inspect the rear pads. I noticed right away that the rear axle was improperly adjusted. What I mean is that who ever adjusted the belt the last time, adjust the left and right sides unevenly. By about 1/4". This would explain what I had already suspected when riding. I noticed that the bike looked and felt like the rear was tracking about 1" or so to the right of center. Symptoms included the (not so) obvious visual appearance of "crabbing", moderate left "lead" when I removed my hands above 30-40mph and a slightly noticeable difference in the oscillation when compared to left and right turns at highway speed.

Anyway, I readjusted the belt and rear axle, correcting the aforementioned alighment issue. Last night and this morning, the first two symptoms ("crabbing" and moderate left "lead") are gone. I didn't have the opportunity to test for oscillation, though I suspect that it will still be present, but I expect that it might be more even now.

As soon as I purchase a jack, I will be servicing the forks, front axle, steering bearings and also the rear swing arm pivot bearings. At this time, I really don't expect any noticeable improvements, but I will be able to be 100% certain of their condition. After that, I will be looking to purchase and install a True Track kit.

FWIW, I run Dunlop 402's and they are in good (rear) to excellent (front) shape with respect to tread / wear and they exhibit no balance or runout issues.

BTW, Topper, you have a *sweet* scooter! [8D]

Quick Reply: MAKING MY HARLEY HANDLE BETTER?