Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D bike covers...worth the $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:27 AM
ulev1st
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H-D bike covers...worth the $$$?

Picking up a new SG on Monday..looking for a cover that will be used MOSTLY indoors but maybe outdoors on occasion. Are the H-D covers the way to go? Or would I be better off with a cheaper knock off vinyl cover. I know the cloth H-D would be better for the finish.. opinions?
Thanks in advance for your time to read and reply.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:01 AM
Mikebiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use an old bed sheet to cover my bike in the shed. Has to be cool anyways to plug the battery tender in so I just throw the sheet over it to keep off the dust that seems to always find it's way into my shed

Old 11-21-2010, 05:04 AM
slarson
Tourer

I got a cover from Walmart for $20.00 works great

Old 11-21-2010, 06:54 AM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior

I have an Exigent cover well worth the price........http://www.exigentbikecovers.com/

Old 11-21-2010, 06:58 AM
Doug45601
Road Master

I had them throw in the Harley cover with my bike purchase... and yes the cover is nice. Harley covers are in my opnion made better then the aftermarket covers sold under various names.
Harley would like to keep up their reputation so there name won't just go on any cover! Harley is more expensive but the quality in making and the materials will probably outlast the basic, "Oh here's a cover that may fit your bike" that is sold in most discount stores.

I've owned a few bikes and covers and alway go back to the Harley covers when possible just for the quality.

Last edited by Doug45601; 11-21-2010 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 11-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Must be - I've got two (cotton & heavy duty). If you're getting mostly for storage - make sure you dont't buy the outdoor one. Want it to breathe...

I think HD covers are great quality and you probably pay a bit more, but they have good features. Can probably get much cheaper at Wally World, farm stores, etc., but they won't have the cool HD logo so neighbors/friends might think you ride a metric...

Old 11-21-2010, 07:44 AM
BIG Y 2014
Cruiser
Default bike covers

i have a 11 cvo SG came with a HD cover made by dowco in Wisconsin

Old 11-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

The best cover for indoor storage is a couple of cotton bed sheets,that's what I use all year long.I bought sheets that are black.A quick Google search will show that very inexpensive cotton bedsheets with the Harley Davidson logo can be easily found.

I have a well made water resistant blue & gray cover made specifically for touring size motorcycles purchased from Menard's home improvement store that I bought 3 years ago for $35.I bungee it to my luggage rack when on road trips.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:23 AM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug45601
I had them throw in the Harley cover with my bike purchase... and yes the cover is nice. Harley covers are in my opnion made better then the aftermarket covers sold under various names.
Harley would like to keep up their reputation so there name won't just go on any cover! Harley is more expensive but the quality in making and the materials will probably outlast the basic, "Oh here's a cover that may fit your bike" that is sold in most discount stores.

I've owned a few bikes and covers and alway go back to the Harley covers when possible just for the quality.
My thoughts exactly!!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I travel on my Road King for work or pleasure, and stay over somewhere, a cover is a great first deterrent. Out of sight, out of mind ... instead of tempting some clown to check out my gleaming Harley.

At the same time, I wouldn't use a cover with a Harley logo on it which may tempt some clown to lift it up to check out my gleaming Harley.

I picked this tip up from a couple of older threads here.

Quick Reply: H-D bike covers...worth the $$$?