Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAP sensor failure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:01 AM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MAP sensor failure?

2004 FLHRCI with SERT...Was experiencing some sputtering and engine light under heavy throttle going uphill...last weekend dealer replaced the MAP sensor. Got about 40 miles down the road, sat in pretty warm conditions while a paving crew held up traffic...took off and it sputtered out and pretty much died. Got it going again and now have the same symptoms...sputtering/missing and check engine light under heacy throttle going uphill.

If I were to assume that the MAP sensor was bad again, what might cause such a thing?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 AM
oldbiker771
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the codes? Your year model had some with badly drilled throttle shafts. They broke on the aft side at the screw, so throttle inputs worked but were improperly transmitted to the TPS. It gives your symptoms. Mine did it. Pull the air cleaner and have a look.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:01 PM
jmcollison
Road Master

Thanks for the tip Oldbiker. I'm going to call the service manager and ask him about the possibility of the "shaft issue", lest I become the victim of a different kind of "shaft issue"!!!

As far as the codes, I can't get my laptop to communicate with the SERT. Maybe because the software wasn't made to be supported by Vista? Maybe it doesn't like the $41 USB-Serial port cable I bought?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:10 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcollison
2004 FLHRCI with SERT...Was experiencing some sputtering and engine light under heavy throttle going uphill...last weekend dealer replaced the MAP sensor. Got about 40 miles down the road, sat in pretty warm conditions while a paving crew held up traffic...took off and it sputtered out and pretty much died. Got it going again and now have the same symptoms...sputtering/missing and check engine light under heacy throttle going uphill.

If I were to assume that the MAP sensor was bad again, what might cause such a thing?
Bad wiring!

Its a simple vacuum switch, they dont go bad very often, usually its the wiring NOT the sensor.

Vista systems are picky about USB/Serial cables. We have 3 different cables and only one works on the comp at work.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcollison
Thanks for the tip Oldbiker. I'm going to call the service manager and ask him about the possibility of the "shaft issue", lest I become the victim of a different kind of "shaft issue"!!!

As far as the codes, I can't get my laptop to communicate with the SERT. Maybe because the software wasn't made to be supported by Vista? Maybe it doesn't like the $41 USB-Serial port cable I bought?
You don't need the SERT to check for codes. The codes are displayed on your odometer. Check your owners manual for the procedure, but iirc you hold down the trip reset button while turning the ignition switch on. Then you can cycle through the different system by pushing the trip reset.

Zach

Old 06-08-2010, 01:39 PM
mrbadlands
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed
You don't need the SERT to check for codes. The codes are displayed on your odometer. Check your owners manual for the procedure, but iirc you hold down the trip reset button while turning the ignition switch on. Then you can cycle through the different system by pushing the trip reset.

Zach
+1 on that.. Push the Speedo Reset button and hold while turning ignition on. Shortly you will see "diag" in the window. and go from there.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:50 PM
jmcollison
Road Master

Thanks guys. You know, it's not that I think the dealer is taking me for a ride, but I like to be at least as informed as the guy working on my bike!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 01:52 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Just get that thing fixed..........The road is calling in T-minus 10....

Old 06-08-2010, 02:12 PM
jmcollison
Road Master

Originally Posted by hspring03
Just get that thing fixed..........The road is calling in T-minus 10....
I'll put a piece of electrical tape over the speedo so I don't see when the light comes on! That's fixed enough isn't it?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:29 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

We know electrical tape works wonders on the road.....

Quick Reply: MAP sensor failure?