Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with 2010 Road King - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 02:36 AM
Moondogger
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Problem with 2010 Road King - Need Help

Hey guys,

I have a 2010 Road King with about 3500 miles on it. My local dealer is closed until Tuesday, so I thought I'd ask for advice on this forum.

I was riding my bike tonight and as I was coming to a stoplight, all of a sudden I heard a grinding sound, like when you hit the starter button when the bike is already running. I pulled over and shut the bike down. When I re-started it, I turned the ignition "On" and clicked the "Run" button, the bike started without me pushing the "Start" button!

I wasn't far from my house so I rode home. I noticed the grinding would happen when I pulled the clutch all the way in to change gears or coming to a stop. When I was in gear and the clutch lever was fully released, there was no grinding.

I waited a couple hours and tried starting it again, same problem happened, the bike started without me pushing the "Start" button. Same grinding sound too.

What do you think it is? Is there a short circuit with the starter?? Right after the problem started, I could smell that electrical "ozone" smell.

Thanks,

Alex

Old 01-10-2010, 03:18 AM
malla1962
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your starter is stuck in,maybe a short in the starter button.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:26 AM
joesride
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this happen to a sportster years ago, it happened right after the dealer installed the bars on the bike that i ordered when i ordered the bike. They evidently pinched a wire up on the handlebar where the starter button is.The dang starter was engaging whist i was riding away from the dealership.Turned around and took it right back and pulled the starter button housing off and could see where a wire was arcing..You may just have a pinched wire.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:02 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Open your right housing . Could be a pinched wire from your starter switch.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Moondogger
Cruiser

Thanks, guys. I'll open up the housing and see what I find.

It's weird that this would happen all of a sudden.

-Alex

Old 01-10-2010, 02:04 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Moondogger
Hey guys,

I have a 2010 Road King with about 3500 miles on it. My local dealer is closed until Tuesday, so I thought I'd ask for advice on this forum.

I was riding my bike tonight and as I was coming to a stoplight, all of a sudden I heard a grinding sound, like when you hit the starter button when the bike is already running. I pulled over and shut the bike down. When I re-started it, I turned the ignition "On" and clicked the "Run" button, the bike started without me pushing the "Start" button!

I wasn't far from my house so I rode home. I noticed the grinding would happen when I pulled the clutch all the way in to change gears or coming to a stop. When I was in gear and the clutch lever was fully released, there was no grinding.

I waited a couple hours and tried starting it again, same problem happened, the bike started without me pushing the "Start" button. Same grinding sound too.

What do you think it is? Is there a short circuit with the starter?? Right after the problem started, I could smell that electrical "ozone" smell.

Thanks,

Alex

Disconnect wire to solenoid and let dealer worry about it.

Reconnect when you want to start and disconnect when it starts.

If you start messing with things it may be an issue when they start trouble shooting problem.

I had this problem on my 08, dealer replaced wiring, starter, etc. etc. it was doing this again the day they bought it back and I picked up my 2010 Limited.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Boo2you
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like your starter contacts are sticking closed on your start switch. If the weather is cold there, they could be froze closed. Water or ice is a great conductor of electricity and if either gets between the contacts of your starter switch, it will make up the circuit. Another possibility is that the wire from the switch to the starter has become grounded and is bypassing your switch.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Moondogger
Cruiser

I just opened the switch housing on the handlebar, everything looks fine, no pinched wires that I could see. I'm in LA and we're in a heat wave right now, so no freezing here!

I'm not going to mess with it any more and let the dealer figure it out on Tuesday.

Nocarb,

Was this a chronic problem you had with your '08?? Is there a "lemon law" for motorcycles?

Thanks,

Alex

Old 01-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Boo2you
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a 2010 RK and have not experienced that problem. It almost has to be something in your start switch because as you said, it doesnt do anything until you turn on your main switch and put the stop run switch to run. The only other contacts in the circuit is your start switch. If it were a pinched wire it would have to shorted to the wire coming out of your run stop switch. If it were pinched to ground, it would pick up your starter all of the time.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:52 AM
Moondogger
Cruiser

I took my bike in to the dealership yesterday. I got the call today that the "Run" switch was faulty, they had one in stock so they were able to replace it right away. I pick up the bike on Friday.

-Alex

Quick Reply: Problem with 2010 Road King - Need Help