Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Yaffe Monkey Bars Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 05:33 PM
emtglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Yaffe Monkey Bars Question

I have a few questions for those of you who have installed the yaffe monkey bars on your bike. I just bought the 10" version for my bike and would like a few answers. Thanks in advance

#1. What did you use to lubricate the wiring to slide thru the handlebars?

#2. Did anyone have to cut the sheath off the wiring when there internally wired the handlebars. I have a friend who is an installer at a harley dealership and he said when you install them they cut all but about 6" of sheath off the wiring. This concerns me with rubbing and fraying with the wires. Thanks

Old 09-09-2010, 06:09 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by emtglide
I have a few questions for those of you who have installed the yaffe monkey bars on your bike. I just bought the 10" version for my bike and would like a few answers. Thanks in advance

#1. What did you use to lubricate the wiring to slide thru the handlebars?

#2. Did anyone have to cut the sheath off the wiring when there internally wired the handlebars. I have a friend who is an installer at a harley dealership and he said when you install them they cut all but about 6" of sheath off the wiring. This concerns me with rubbing and fraying with the wires. Thanks
I just did mine a couple days ago.

I used baby powder to lube the inside of the bars, and i didn't cut the sheath off the left side but did on the right side because there was a lot more wires.
Do yourself a favor and either get the the extended screaming eagle TBW or cut the green TBW plug off and just connect and soder the wires. Mine green plug was perfect and still didn't work, big headache!
If you have any questions let me know.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 PM
emtglide
Intermediate

I have an 07 so I dont have the tbw so I am not sure if this will cut down the the wires. I have the klock werks bars on there now and they are nice just not tall enough for what I want. I am just worried about the bend in the bars. The baby powder idea is a great idea. I better do this one in private with the baby powder and if anyone stops over they might take the baby powder for something else but its a good idea. I am really just not crazy about leaving the wires exposed in the bars. I mean these things are 1.5" bars! I ran them thru the 1" klock bars no problem, just patience. Thanks for the pictures I am stoked and cant wait to get them in

Old 09-09-2010, 06:33 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

The TBW cable was the only reason i cut off the sheath, do you have cruise control? If not that would cut down on internal wires as well but i would suggest getting CC and installing it at the same time because after you wire these your not going to want to do it again!

Did you install the Klock werks yourself (with internal wiring)? If so, you will have no problems installing these. Getting all the cables into the right hand bar was what chewed up most of my time.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:53 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

I've been "lucky" to have done a lot of these bars and somewhere in there I found what works the best for me.

On both sides, remove the factory sheath up to about 2-3 inches at the controls and then heat shrink all the wires together leaving 6-8 inches at the connector side un-heat shrinked. Don't tie the TBW wire in with the right side control wires. Leave it separate.

Run the left side first using wd-40 as a lubricant. Just spray the wires. Run the wires down (using the weedwacker cord or string method) and out the left side bottom corner hole. It's there...you'll see it.

Next run the TBW wires on the right side making sure the green connector is not past the first bend. You don't want it in the way when you go to pull the control wires.

Then run the right side control cables (using wd-40) through and out the bottom right corner of the bars.

Next take a wire or two from either side and feed them back through the corner hole and feed it to the center hole in the bars. Keep doing that until all the wires are through the center.

Pull the TBW wires with the right side control wires at the same time to get the green connector to pass the first bend. You'll have to play with it. Big fun.

Put some of the factory sheath around both left and right side control cables where they come out of the center for protection.

You're done. Drink and celebrate because that was painful!

lp

Old 09-09-2010, 07:01 PM
emtglide
Intermediate

yeah I did the klock bars myself I did them with some trials and tribulations but I did it myself. Also note to ones self do not use fishing line it will break when you have the wires 3/4 of the way thru the bars. Again the only thing I am worried about it the jagged weld inside the point of the bars chewing them up. I am hoping it wont be to bad! I dont have cruise control so I wont have to worry about those wires either. Thanks for the great tips lp

Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

No easy way! Go with the earlier post of removing the tbw plug. Heat shrink the wires but don't get it so tight that the wires are not flexible. I used a small chain to pull. I tried baby powder that I had used with other bars but it was still tough so I used conduit lube. Left side is easy. It worked best for me to pull the harness and the tbw on the right at the same time.
The good news is once they are wired everything else is easy!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:26 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

I used dental floss with a fishing sinker to run through the inside of the bars and then tied that off to some extra speaker wire i had and pulled that through. Ties the speaker wire to the harnesses and taped them off and pulled that way. Had to work with what i had, but it worked fine. Since you have an 07 and no TBW and no CC you should have no issues on either side, we need to see some pic's when your done!

Old 09-10-2010, 06:12 AM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when i mounted it on my Ultra, i used mounting tyre grease on the wires. It work not too bad for the firts side, pretty good for the second side.
i didn't cut anything but maybe it's because i don't have TBW.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:21 AM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribing...for future reference

Quick Reply: Wiring Yaffe Monkey Bars Question