Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wouldn't Go The Few Extra Steps

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 12:36 PM
ajpuck
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wouldn't Go The Few Extra Steps

I have an '08 EGC with approx. 16000 miles on it. Last Saturday while cruising down the freeway my radio quit. It went stone cold dead. I figured that the fuse blew. I'm not any sort of a wrench when it comes to my bike. Took it to the dealer and told him what happened. They took into the shop and about 10 minutes later brought it back out. Said I had a blown fuse. DUHHH!!! Said I was good to go. Left the dealership and 5 minutes down the road my radio quit again. Immediately took it back. They took it back into the shop. About 30 minutes later they came out and told me that some wires inside the fairing had been rubbing on the fairing mount bracket and had worn the insulation off. This is what was causing the fuse to blow. My question is this - why didn't they check out why the fuse was blowing in the first place instead of just throwing a fuse in and telling me it was good to go?????

Old 10-01-2010, 12:49 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ajpuck
I have an '08 EGC with approx. 16000 miles on it. Last Saturday while cruising down the freeway my radio quit. It went stone cold dead. I figured that the fuse blew. I'm not any sort of a wrench when it comes to my bike. Took it to the dealer and told him what happened. They took into the shop and about 10 minutes later brought it back out. Said I had a blown fuse. DUHHH!!! Said I was good to go. Left the dealership and 5 minutes down the road my radio quit again. Immediately took it back. They took it back into the shop. About 30 minutes later they came out and told me that some wires inside the fairing had been rubbing on the fairing mount bracket and had worn the insulation off. This is what was causing the fuse to blow. My question is this - why didn't they check out why the fuse was blowing in the first place instead of just throwing a fuse in and telling me it was good to go?????
Could have been just lazy, could be that who ever worked on it isn't familiar with electrical systems. Figured that since the fuse didn't blow immediately it was just a fluke occurrence.

Did they charge you for replacing the fuse? Maybe they figured it would keep you coming back, job security.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:53 PM
ajpuck
Advanced

Originally Posted by piasspj
Could have been just lazy, could be that who ever worked on it isn't familiar with electrical systems. Figured that since the fuse didn't blow immediately it was just a fluke occurrence.

Did they charge you for replacing the fuse? Maybe they figured it would keep you coming back, job security.
They charged me $11.00 to replace the fuse. When I took it back they said they felt bad about me having to come back so there was no charge for the second time.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:57 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ajpuck
They charged me $11.00 to replace the fuse. When I took it back they said they felt bad about me having to come back so there was no charge for the second time.

Well wasn't that nice of them???

Old 10-01-2010, 01:08 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by prostar
Well wasn't that nice of them???
Exactly Sounds like they did more than most, and you got it done for free. How can you beat that?

Old 10-01-2010, 01:13 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds to me like they made it right in the end. If I was the mech, I wouldn't necessarily assume the fuse blew because 2 wires were rubbing in the fairing and go searching for it, you know?

However, I would've stated that 'we replaced the fuse, but bring it back IF it blows again, as that means there's a bigger problem than just a fuse ...'.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:19 PM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHTCU Owner
Sounds to me like they made it right in the end. If I was the mech, I wouldn't necessarily assume the fuse blew because 2 wires were rubbing in the fairing and go searching for it, you know?

However, I would've stated that 'we replaced the fuse, but bring it back IF it blows again, as that means there's a bigger problem than just a fuse ...'.

Same here, if they actually did take the time to go through checking things out, and they charged you an hour of labor for doing it ($89 or so), and it was just a fuse, what then? Sounds like they did it right, unless of course the wires were easily visible and showed the wear without needing to take anything apart to find it.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the other hand, if they would have done a full test you would have been cooling your heels in the service department. If it had turned up nothing, that would have been a lot of wasted (and billable) time.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:22 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by piasspj

ooorrrrr it could have been that he replaced the fuse, ran the bike and it didn't blow so he turned in the repair order and moved on to a job he could actually make some $$ on. (you know....the reason we go to work?)

Old 10-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Sgt Mac
Road Master

Originally Posted by TexasSG
ooorrrrr it could have been that he replaced the fuse, ran the bike and it didn't blow so he turned in the repair order and moved on to a job he could actually make some $$ on. (you know....the reason we go to work?)
Agreed.....fixed the problem, tested it, good to go. I wouldn't expect someone to start chasing wires on an intermitent grounding issue when the only indication of failure is a blown fuse. You could be there for days and never pinpoint the problem or it could be the first thing you look at. It's fixed and it cost $11, I'd say that's pretty damn good. Would you expect anything more from a car dealership?

Quick Reply: Wouldn't Go The Few Extra Steps