Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wouldn't Go The Few Extra Steps

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ajpuck
I have an '08 EGC with approx. 16000 miles on it. Last Saturday while cruising down the freeway my radio quit. It went stone cold dead. I figured that the fuse blew. I'm not any sort of a wrench when it comes to my bike. Took it to the dealer and told him what happened. They took into the shop and about 10 minutes later brought it back out. Said I had a blown fuse. DUHHH!!! Said I was good to go. Left the dealership and 5 minutes down the road my radio quit again. Immediately took it back. They took it back into the shop. About 30 minutes later they came out and told me that some wires inside the fairing had been rubbing on the fairing mount bracket and had worn the insulation off. This is what was causing the fuse to blow. My question is this - why didn't they check out why the fuse was blowing in the first place instead of just throwing a fuse in and telling me it was good to go?????
I think You got a good deal from the dealer. Also, if the found the problem the first time you probably would have paid a lot more than $11.

Last edited by Dionicio; 10-01-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:36 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like a very fair dealer to me. they treated you right...you have no complaints coming.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:37 PM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajpuck
They charged me $11.00 to replace the fuse. When I took it back they said they felt bad about me having to come back so there was no charge for the second time.
$11.00 to troubleshoot and repair a short in the radio system!! The way I see it is you have nothing to complain about.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:00 PM
briggs07
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

At first i agreed with everyone, that this sounds like a good deal. But after reading more posts seems like this is a somewhat common problem. Which im sure dealers are aware of this common problem. They probaly knew that your wiring was probaly rubbing, but hoped they could just bend you over for a 2 cent fuse and 1 minute of there time and get $11 bucks and never see you again. I work with electronics on cars everyday, i occasionally get fuse problems, and I never just pop a new fuse in it charge $11 and send it on its way. Always make an effort to find a short. Put whatever has blown the fuse threw its paces. Fuses wont just blow for no reason as long as its the correct size fuse. But after all that said they atleast did fix the problem, im sure most dealers would of just put another fuse in it, charged you another $11 bucks and tell you to get lost.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member

Fuses blow for a reason.
But remember them wrenches/that shop manager at Christmas. It could have been much worse on many levels and in many ways. Seems like everything worked out great in the end. A story with a happy ending, I love happy endings.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:07 PM
mblack7787
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap! I hear and read this same old lame *** whining on hear all the time..."my bike broke and the dealer did thhis and did not do that and charged me too much...blah, blah, blah". For Christs sake...spend some money on a few tools along with a repair manual and learn something about tthe bike you ride. I have been riding for 42 years and one of the many things I have learned about Harley's or any bike is you have to be smarter than what you ride. Perhaps I am simply misunderstanding your complaint...but it sounds to me like you are bitching because they did not do a complete diagnostic check...fuses would be the first thing you look for in this case and if it worked...ride. When it does not...dig deeper. That is what they did...and all for $11.00! Maybe they will take better care of you when you ride down in all your leather gear to get your oil changed!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:14 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member

Sometimes fuses go bad. Nothing wrong with just changing the fuse.

It could of been just a fuse and if they could of pulled it apart spent hours and charged you hours and all it was just a bad fuse, you might of paid $$$$ just to find out its a bad fuse.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:28 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Fuse blew in the circuit that powers my spot lights. Put a new fuse in and 10k miles later that fuse has not blown again. Could have hunted all day and not found a short. You owe those guys a beer for doing right by you.