I had to remove the inner fairing on my wifes bike so it could be taken in to be painted. Here is a step by step procedure on how I did it. If you can pick up a wrench..you can remove your own instead of having the dealer do it for you. It took the wife and I 2 1/2 hours to do this. That included reading,taking all pictures,and writing down what I wanted to say for each picture.
If you see something I did and know of an easier way...please post it up so it can help the next person.
***MODS...I posted it here so it would be seen more and others could chime in with there helpful hints...if its in the wrong place feel free to move it after others have added there input..Thanks***
Snap ring pliers
T-27 star allen wrench (Use the long one with a t-handle..its easier)
T-25 Star allen wrench
3/16 allen wrench (long one with T-handle)
7/8 open end wrench
9/16 open end arench
1/2 open end wrench
Phillips screw driver
Flat head screwdriver
Put bolts and screws in marked baggies as you take them off so you know where they go when you re-assemble the fairing.
10/22/2011 NOTE*** Recieved a good suggestion from Harlypingman so I decided to add it. If you have a bike that has passing lamps, cover them with athletic socks to lessen the chances of nicking your outer fairing when you remove it.
01/15/2013NOTE...I notice that some pictures keep disappearing from this thread. Member Bigb flhtcu was kind enough to post a link where all the directions and pictures can be downloaded to a pdf file so you can take them out to the garage with you. It is located on page 14 post number 134.
This is for a 2008 Streetglide
Lets get started...
1. Remove the left saddle bag and side cover. (marked in red)
3.Remove 3 screws from front fairing and pull out windshield. T-27
NOTE: To be safe...Put the middle screw back in place before removing the inner fairing screws. It will be easier to hold the outer fairing while removing this screw last.This will keep your outer fairing from falling on your fender when you remove the 4 inner screws (next step)and causing damage to either the fairing or fender. Thanks to HARLEYPINGMAN for this helpful tip.
9. Remove the 2 bolts from each of the support bracket (silver) Note...allen bolts are on the inside and stars are on the outside. T-25 3/16 allen
10. Turn forks to the right. Book says left but right worked better for be because I went for the button from the left. Put key in ignition lock. Take a small screwdriver and under the ignition you will see a little button. Push up the button and turn the key to the left a little bit. That will release everything. Pull ignition out.
13. Remove the switch position plate.
NOTE....I turned the bars to the left later and the forks locked. Not a big deal...just take a regular screwdriver and put it down the hole where the switch was. You will see a notch cut out down there. Turn to the right a little bit and the forks unlock.
14. Remove the 2 screws. 1 each side with washer. T-25