Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repairing my SOHB primary chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:05 AM
boston138
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing my SOHB primary chain tensioner

When I discovered that the primary chain tensioner was defective in my 2008 Ultra Classic, I decided to buy the Hydraulic Wedge 2 from SOHB.
Unfortunately, the Wedge 2 did not work all the time. Sometimes it made the primary chain quiet and sometimes made it sound very loose. It made me think that the aluminum wedge was sticking in it's track and not being effective. I took the chain adjuster out of the bike because I intended to install the 40 cent spring that so many talk about, however, when I took the chain adjuster apart I found some things that surprised me. First of all, I discovered deep scatches about 1/4 inch long, side by side, on the top of the leading edge of the aluminum wedge itself and then noticed that the scratches were caused by plastic nipples on the bottom track of the shoe where the wedge was suppose to slide over. These 2 nipples were just long enough that they not only scratched the aluminum wedge but they were preventing the wedge from sliding smoothly along it's track in the shoe unless I used considerable more force to push it past the plastic nipples. I sanded the nipples off the plastic shoe as well as smoothing off the aluminum wedge scratches. Now the wedge would smoothly slide along the track in the shoe without anything obstructing it. I reinstalled the new chain adjuster and since then I have travelled 200 miles and it has worked great. I am not saying that you should not buy the SOHB Primary chain adjuster because I think it works well as long as you don't get one with a flaw in the track of the shoe.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:09 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,018 Likes on 1,738 Posts

Do a search on here, the first run of SOHB wedges suck. I had one of the first ones and took it out and tried to rework it 3 different times. Allegedly the more recent ones had the bugs worked out.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:28 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

It's not a hydraulic wedge either, it's spring loaded. The closest it comes to the SOHB claim of being hydraulic is that it sits in an oil bath. Mine was so poorly machined when I got it, that I sent it back for a refund.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:18 PM
PROVIDER7
Tourer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the demo tape on the SOHB internet site was cool so I ordered one looked pretty cheap when I got it, sent it back and got a full refund with no problem.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:51 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not go with the Harley verson and be done with it? At least you can get parts for it and it works all the time.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:44 PM
oldguy1946
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soos
It's not a hydraulic wedge either, it's spring loaded. The closest it comes to the SOHB claim of being hydraulic is that it sits in an oil bath. Mine was so poorly machined when I got it, that I sent it back for a refund.

I also sent mine back for a refund. I had the same scratches the OP had on his. When I opened up the primary to remove it the chain had a lot of slack and the wedge would not slide forward to take up the slack.